30 amp trailer - 15 amp service

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kportra

We are looking at reserving a site that has only 15 amp service.  Our trailer is 30 amp.  What do I need to know?  Can I use the TV or the microwave etc.  Or am I just charging batteries with the 15 amp hookup?

Thanks.

I'm in a 50A coach currently plugged in to 15/20A. I don't use any electric heating but am able to use everything else, just not all at once.  Example, normally I have the hot water heater and fridge set to electric to save propane, but when I run the dryer I switch both to propane, then switch back when I'm done. You should be able to run the TV and microwave with no problem. If you start adding hair dryers etc that could be a problem. You'll know when it is, the breaker will pop. Just stop using whatever you were using.

Thanks!  I didn't want to reserve and pay for something that wouldn't be useful.  Great answer!

We stayed at a private campground with 15 amp service. You have to watch your power usage. We discovered that the microwave and toaster were fine but when my wife plugged in the hair dryer it popped the circuit breaker.

We did not need the AC but it can draw 12 amps all by itself.  You only have 1800 watts to work with at a time 

The high power items are, electric water heater, air conditioner, microwaves, hair dryers, space heaters, toasters and some coffee makers.

Option for us include switching the water heater to gas, switch the refrigerator to gas, heating food in the oven and making coffee on the stove.

Most of the time we simply learned to mange the electric load. Using only one or two of the high electric draw appliances at a time.

Good Luck

RGP said:
The high power items are, electric water heater, air conditioner, microwaves, hair dryers, space heaters, toasters and some coffee makers.

Notice what all the high draw appliances have in common ... HEAT.  It takes a lot of electricity to create or move heat.

If you have a gas/electric refrigerator it also uses heat to run the cooling process and it can draw several hundred watts in electric mode.  Switch it and the water heater to gas for the duration to conserve the limited electricity for other uses.

A good rule of thumb is a 15/20 amp connection means you can use at most one heat producing appliance at a time.

30 amps lets you use up to 2 large appliances at the same time.

50 amps ... use as much electricity as you want.

The other electrical uses - TV, stereo, lights, charging phones, computers, etc. don't use enough power to worry about.

TV yes. Microwave Perhaps. (Depends on some stuff)
When you first plug in Minimum use for a couple hours to give batteries time to charge
(Lights, TV and if needed furnace, note Lights and Furnace are 12 volt items so if you need furnace just add an hour to the "Couple"

Once batteries are into absorption/float you can add the fridge, and  Microwave I'd delete fridge (Sw9itch to gas manually) while cooking. But warning. you may need to delete TV's too to microwave.

Depends on teh microwave.

DO not even think about electric heat  Of any kind. .

We once spent a week at a fairgrounds with 15 amp service, glass fuses in a temporary panel mounted to the light pole.  You learn to pay very close attention!

HappyWanderer said:
glass fuses in a temporary panel mounted to the light pole. 

That's what pennies are for - "ta da... instant 50 amp service!!"  ;) ;D ::)

If I had to stay on a 15 amp Glass Fuse site... I'd get a screw in push button reset breaker.. In fact. I DID when I had a house on my garage sub panel. converted to all push button breakers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom