oil change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellis

can anyone  tell me what the average price for a oil change on a  2007 Monaco cayman 36 ft , diesel pusher

If you go to a average commercial truck shop or lube center for an oil change, it will probably be in the mid $200 range.  That would include oil, oil filter(s) and fuel filter replacement along with check of all drive train levels like differential and trans.  Some shops will also check coolant and top off washer reservoir also as part of the package. 

And if you go to an RV dealer, it will likely be near 2x that. Go to a truck lube shop, often located at or adjacent to truck stops.

The Cayman has a Cummins ISB engine with an oil capacity of only 12 quarts, so the parts value is around $75 (including filter). The rest is labor, so I would expect maybe $150 at a truck lube center. $200 tops. Try a Speedco shop if you can find one near you. Speedco is now a subsidiary of Love's Travel Centers, but are located near many major trucks stops (not just Love's).

https://www.loves.com/truck-solutions/speedco/locations

Utclmjmpr said:
A bunch cheeeper doing it yourself.>>>Dan

Unless the OP has a large enough drain pan, lots and lots of clean up rags, know where/which is the drain plug, a little mechanical know-how and a way/place to "dump" the used oil otherwise it may not be practical  ;) .

I have a 2 post lift and found it more convenient to bring my vehicles to a shop for oil change rather than doing it myself.

Just curious if anyone has had their oil changed at one of the major tuck stops on the freeways. Did you make an appointment, or just drive in and wait in line? Because of changes in our travel & stays, this might be a good option from prior practice. I've previously used Cummins Coach Care facilities, a dealer where a relative was the Service Supervisor, a truck shop (not truck stop), and changed my own a few times.

[quote author=Seon]Unless the OP has a large enough drain pan...[/quote]

An option would be to install a Fumoto drain valve in place of the drain plug. Then use smaller containers (e.g. empty quart containers or 5-gallon buckets).

I have used Fomoto Valves for years in all my vehicles.

It is especially helpful with Diesel oil changes because the old oil is like black paint when you get it on you.

I did however once have a oil change facility refuse to service one of my cars because they were not familiar with the valve back then.  This was a long time ago, but I still could not understand why they had this policy.

I used to give these valves away as one of the most liked items in my give away box.

When using them it is helpful to also use a length of clear plastic tubing from the valve to the container.

Also, they used to cost about $16 each, not close to $30.  But then gas used to cost less also.

[quote author=HueyPilotVN]When using them it is helpful to also use a length of clear plastic tubing from the valve to the container.[/quote]

Aye, I would think that to be good advice.

No spills while changing oil, although I've wished I had the plumbed-in fluid pump I have on the boat; 12V pump and a manifold with valves to individually drain/fill both engines, both transmissions, and the generator.

Meanwhile, changing the fuel filter on the coach generator usually resulted in diesel running down my arm, on my face, and in my hair.

I don't have that problem any more, because I can no longer get under there  ;D

Tom said:
Just curious if anyone has had their oil changed at one of the major tuck stops on the freeways. Did you make an appointment, or just drive in and wait in line? Because of changes in our travel & stays, this might be a good option from prior practice. I've previously used Cummins Coach Care facilities, a dealer where a relative was the Service Supervisor, a truck shop (not truck stop), and changed my own a few times.

The truck lube places are first come first serve.  Just show up.

HueyPilotVN said:
I have used Fomoto Valves for years in all my vehicles.

Ditto.  I use Fumoto valves on everything from my compact tractor, to my wife's Cadillac, to my Chevy 2500, on up to my Freightliner semi truck.  They are fantastic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom