Pictures of Sunny California

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Being on the water, this time of year we get a lot of early morning fog (aka tule fog) over the California Delta. Our daughter is currently visiting from the MidWest (where they're currently expecting a big snow storm). I couldn't help smiling when she was taking photos of the 'view' from our deck before breakfast.

Attachments

• Deb_fog_sm.jpg
    Deb_fog_sm.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Deb_fog2_sm.jpg
    Deb_fog2_sm.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 115
And she appears to be thrilled to be the subject of your photo shoot!

Coincidentally that looks exactly like my drive to work this morning - we had a sharp rise in temperature overnight and the fog was quite thick for the morning commute.

She posed, smiling for a couple of other shots, but she moved and the pics were blurred.

Ah, the good old W0X0F as the pilots among us know about. When I lived in SAC, we would see this quite often this time of year. There were times we couldn't land and the only legal alternate airport was across the hill in Reno. Remember one time with weather like that we could hear a flock of geese above the fog squawking and circling for over an hour looking for a landing spot. Finally, it got quiet. Figured they either ran out of fuel or went to their alternate.  :D ;)

Aye Bruce, SAC is an hour and 15 minutes from here.

The same perspective, taken around 5:00pm today.

Attachments

• Deb_nofog_sm.jpg
    Deb_nofog_sm.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 70
Brings back a couple memories. I was raised in the Skyline Mountains separating the Bay from the Pacific; we lived roughly abeam Woodside and Redwood City. Had a great house with a 150 degree view of the Bay from Moffet Field to almost So. San Fran. When we looked back at the ridge line behind us, there was a saddle in the mountains. Every evening during fog season the fog would build up on the ocean side, and we'd start to see it pour through the saddle and start filling up the bay. We would be above the fog the whole time, although occasionally it would build up high enough we would be engulfed as well. Then, until dusk when we couldn't see the show anymore, we'd watch the fog pour in slow motion through that saddle like syrupy whipped cream.

We lived right on Skyline Drive, and there was a portion of the road about 2 miles north that was also a "saddle", with the ground dropping away on both side. A few times the fog would build up to about 2 feet above the road on the ocean side, then "pour" across the road to the bay side. At times you'd be sitting in the sun in the car, yet your wheels would be in the fog and you'd almost unable to see the road. Surreal.

Also lived in both Sacto and Fresno, as Bruce says, W0X0F was routine. In Fresno in particular, at its thickest you could be sitting at the base of a street sign and it would disappear into the fog. It was pretty scary driving as it was impossible to see stop signs, stop lights, crossing traffic, etc. And those people in white cars.....! I was flying corporate at that point, and routinely telling the boss, "we need to go, we need to go now" as he'd try to delay arrival back home in Fresno. Wasn't able to make it in several times ("I told you....")

Interestingly, it is the west coast fog which allows the giant redwoods to grow as tall as they do. My understanding is that for a long time botanists couldn't understand how the trees were getting moisture up through the trunk to the tops of the trees - hundreds of feet. The pressures required for the trees to "pump" the liquid upward seemed impossible. Turns out, the trees absorb from the ground, but the also require the fog, and absorb a lot of their moisture from it at the tops.

I miss the Bay Area.

A few times the fog would build up to about 2 feet above the road on the ocean side, then "pour" across the road to the bay side. At times you'd be sitting in the sun in the car, yet your wheels would be in the fog and you'd almost unable to see the road. Surreal

Aye Scott, that's definitely an extreme case. It's common for us to have a wall of fog at the rear of our house (water side), and for the street at the front of the house to be clear of fog.

Scary drive dropping our daughter off at SAC early yesterday morning; Fog all along the levee road out to Stockton, largely clear to Old Town Sacramento, then I almost missed the exit from I-5 for SAC airport because we were in thick fog again.

It's beautiful thereTom. I love the fog, but not to drive in. Lovely stories, we saw fog when we were at Big Sur, it was amazing, and we sat and had breakfast looking down on it ?

john owens said:
Jackie was the breakfast at Napenthe??

Good guess, yes it was. ??  We had crab eggs benedict, i couldn't taste mine properly as I had a cold. Made worse by my chilly night in the lodge at Big Sur, couldn't quite afford the Ventana!

Spent Martin Luther King's  Birthday at Monterey Fair Grounds.  You talk about beautiful weather. No fog, no smog, just a lot of people on Fishermans Wharf. UMM was that was that Clam Chowder great.

We lived on the Strait near Sequim, WA back in the early 70's.  We had our fog in the afternoons during the summer when it formed over the cool water on warm days.  It seemed that as soon as I got home in the afternoons, when I hoped to enjoy the view, it was foggy, 45 degrees couldn't see a thing.  I also learned how to mow wet grass!

Back
Top Bottom