1997 chevy Winnebago rolls when in put in park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkavounas1

My in laws have a 1997 Chevy Winnebago and when they put it in park it rolls and doesn't engage they have to put in reverse throw a wheel chalk down and them put in park I can't find l anything on this can someone please help with some info

Welcome to the forum.
If it was me, I would take it to a transmission shop and have them check it out. Could be just a matter of linkage adjustment or a major transmission overhaul. Good luck.

It's the Auto-Park brake, a drum-type brake that gets applied to the drive shaft when the transmission is placed in Park. The brake "shoe" is just behind the transmission. Either the wiring to it or the brake itself isn't working. On a 21 year old coach, it's likley the mechanism itself is failed. If you Search here or on the internet in general for Auto Park brake you should find many references. Probably some videos on YouTube as well.

It's not part of the transmission per se, though it is triggered by putting the shift lever in Park.

Switch on gear shift fails often, mine has been converted to a toggle switch.

Everyone is jumping to the conclusion that this is an Automatic Parking Brake issue, and it might be, but not all Chevy P30's had automatic parking brakes, it depends on the GVWR, the lighter sub 15,000 pound (usually 154 inch wheel base) models had a conventional parking pawl in the transmission.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom