Rusty Water Drip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seon

Just bought a 2000 Itasca 27? Spirit with 30,500 miles. During our maiden voyage today, wife noticed rusty water drips coming from under the overhead at the seam strip cover on the passenger side.  Got home, climbed a ladder to check the roof but didn?t see any sign of rusty water on the roof especially at the AC unit where I would think it?s coming from. 
Any thoughts as to where it?s originating?

Oh boy, those kinds of leaks are difficult to find since they can originate one foot or five feet away. I would start by removing the roof air, chances are the sealing gasket will need replacing anyway.

Are you sure it's rust? It could be residue from the wood frame or luan, indicating a roof leak.

HappyWanderer said:
Are you sure it's rust? It could be residue from the wood frame or luan, indicating a roof leak.

Not sure but it's not good  :-[ .

I'll have a chance to check it out in a day or two.

Well it certainly is a leak.  I removed the overhead cushions and the front of the overhang is wet along with the lower portion of the carpet.  I don?t see any other interior wet spots on the roof or either side of the windows.
Now to search for the entry point(s)  :-\ .

Attachments

• IMG_8651.JPG
    IMG_8651.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8650.JPG
    IMG_8650.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 43
I contacted the PO to tell him about the leak.  He provided me a receipt dated Jan '17 from a Service Center showing all opening and seams sealed to the tune of $2367.79...WHAT??? Is that price excessive?

At any rate, I'm going to call that shop on Monday to see what they will do.

Seon said:
I contacted the PO to tell him about the leak.  He provided me a receipt dated Jan '17 from a Service Center showing all opening and seams sealed to the tune of $2367.79...WHAT??? Is that price excessive?
That price might or might not be expensive depending on exactly they did. If they resealed the entire unit and properly did the work (removing all old sealant, cleaning with a solvent, etc), that's labor intensive. However I would expect that kind of cost to be associated with a much larger unit.

That is completely out of reason. Should be able to get all the seams done for $300 - 400. Rusty water is usually from windshield frame.

OP scheduled an appointment with the shop that sealed it for next Thursday Jan 25 under warranty.  Will post results.

Dropped the RV off at the shop last Thursday as scheduled with OP, being the warranty was under his name. On the way to the shop I encountered a downpour and it was evident that rain entered the overhead. 

Got a call from OP yesterday that the shop water tested but couldn't find any leak; however, OP further said that the shop did resealed around the windows.

I'm picking up the RV today and see what the shop has to say as to why they couldn't find the leak especially when they saw the water under the overhead cushion when I dropped it off  :-[ .

You need to ask them how exactly how they looked for leaks. A visual inspection won't cut it, they need to pressurize the interior with a couple of large box fans or a purpose-built leak detection system. Then they use a squirt bottle with a dishwasher soap and water mix and spray on every exterior seam/joint.

I just drove 2.5 hrs back from the shop in Hayward, Ca.  Said they looked for leak signs but didn't find any so nothing was done...WHAT??  Asked about pressure test or even water test and guy gave me a puzzled look and said there?s no way of pressurizing the inside the cab?another WHAT??? PO was the one that picked this shop.
Told him never mind and drove off.

So I now called a shop in Sacramento that advertised "Pressure Testing" to make an appointment.
Told him the background and that no pressure test were done.  He said most of those types of leaks are either from clearance light gaskets or the joint on top and side of the overhead.  He suggested that I inspect those first and if I still have a leak(s), then to bring the RV in for pressure testing.  Now that's mighty nice.
I'll post results later.

Seon said:
...Said they looked for leak signs but didn't find any so nothing was done...WHAT??  Asked about pressure test or even water test and guy gave me a puzzled look and said there?s no way of pressurizing the inside the cab?another WHAT??? PO was the one that picked this shop.
Told him never mind and drove off....
Morons. No wonder RV service has such a terrible reputation. Sounds like you have a great plan, clearance lights are notorious for leaks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom