Bulletproofing a diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For our new RV we purchased a 2007 Ford with a 6.0 diesel.  I understand there are known issues with this engine, and that many places offer "bulletproofing" services designed to address these issues.  The most famous one is in Phoenix, and recently I saw a YouTube video about one in Corpus Christi, Texas.  But I am in the Pacific Northwest (eastern WA), so these are 2,000 miles or more away.  Does anyone know of a reputable company that does this closer to home?

Ken Bryan

Here is an interesting link to a youtube video where the mechanic talks about changing out the radiator cap on the Ford 6.0.  He claims a $5.00 Stant radiator cap will make a huge difference in the engine.  We had a 2005 Ford F250 diesel and had many problems.  My old boss had a 2006 Ford F250 diesel and put almost 300,000 miles on it before selling it.  He had very few problems.  So they're not all bad.  From what I've read the 6.0 diesel was improved each year after they discovered it had problems.  The 2007 should have the fewest issues.  The mechanic on the video owns a repair facility sounds pretty savvy.  He believes the 6.0 is one of the best diesels ever built.  However, he says there are a few things owners need to do to make them run properly.  I suggest you take a look.  Can't hurt. 

Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM38rFuI_YE

Ford went from the 7.3 that was just impossible to blow up to the 6.0 that would blow up if the owner didn't take care it. 

Starting it cold, driving it for 2-10min then turning if off is a big no no and if the engine is really hot it needs to be run for 5 min to allow the components to cool evenly or gasket break loose.

People would chip (boosting the horsepower ) the engine and not use a EGT (exhaust gas temperature) gauge or placing the sensor at the wrong location.  EGT gauge indicates how hot the valves/turbo is.  Best to keep it below 1250F but it  can temporarily go to 1350F.  EGT is a must have if the truck is towing .

Letting the oil get black is a no no.  Oil is used to cool the engine.  Keeping the oil clear / changing it  long before it is time, using synthetic oil and adding a remote mount oil cooler.

Coolant leaking was the first sign of trouble for the 6.0.

If you don't have any coolant/oil leaks you may not have to bulletproof it.  Have someone look at it and maybe you can save some $$.

I don't know any shops in the Washington but Bernhausan here in BC are excellent. They could do the work or recommend someone.

http://bernhausendiesel.com/

check out the videos from Shaun and Kristie Michael, AKA The Long Long Honeymoon (LoLoHo). They had this done to their Ford truck AKA Seymour. They are quite happy with it and I believe that the parts can also be bought from the company that did their work for either another shop or you to do the fix.

Try
https://nsor.com/?SID=pg0589nvo7118u4i5o96ee2f15

North shore in vancouver bc or bring it to Alberta where EGRdeletes and programers are still legal

Even with all the "bullet proofing" stuff the motor is still a horrible mistake.  Friend went thru three turbos, two after bullet proofing, plus a whole slew of other parts before he got smart and dumped it.  I stead of spending a dime on it you would be much better off to find a used 6.7 from a newer wreck and transplant it in.  Or dump it, chalk it up to experience and buy something more relianle, like a Duramax or Cummins.

I think all you'll do is spend extra if you try to "bullet proof" the engine by replacing the parts before they go.  I'd just watch the oil and water.  If you see a problem, get it fixed.  I have a good friend who is very particular about the maintenance of his 6.0 and still had lots of problems.  Every time he did a fix, he was promised that it wouldn't happen again......but it always did.  He spent about $10,000 in 10 years and several items twice.  His was a working truck and the months of downtime was more of a problem than the cost.  He only wishes he would have sold the truck after the first problem. 

You never know, you may have one that won't be a problem.  Some of the engines were ok.

I had a 2006 F-350 with the 6.0. I traded it at 150000 miles and never even changed a light bulb on that truck. Ran Shell Rotella T the whole time in that engine. So ya never know, sometimes for some reason they come from the factory already bulletproof. I still miss that truck.

Boonieman said:
  I had a 2006 F-350 with the 6.0. I traded it at 150000 miles and never even changed a light bulb on that truck. Ran Shell Rotella T the whole time in that engine. So ya never know, sometimes for some reason they come from the factory already bulletproof. I still miss that truck.

You've got a 2016 Duramax and you still miss a 2006 International 6.0?  Weird! 

While we had a few problems, I regret selling the 2005 F250 6.0.  It was a great truck.  Gave it away for about 1/2 it's worth.  Looked like new when it was 10 years old.  Just didn't have room for it.  Sometimes I think the dealers contribute to the problems.  Like the time the transmission failed on our truck with less than 30,000 miles on the clock.  When it was towed to the dealers lot, the first thing the service guy did was floor board it to move it about 10 feet where it was left until the new tranny was put in.  Not sure if it was toast before he drove it the last 10 feet but there's no question in my mind that it was toast when he finished.  Then there are the service guys that say it's gonna fail.  Just a question of when.  With an attitude like that, what could go wrong. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandlers
Back
Top Bottom