Passenger Vehicle Towing Laws by State (AAA)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The weight limitation on the towed vehicle is interesting.  From 1,500 to 10,000 lbs depending on state.  They can't all be right.  Many motorhome manufacturers state a max trailer weight when the trailer doesn't have brakes.  But I suspect, part of that limitation is to mitigate any legal liabilities.  We have a braking system on our Jeep Wrangler and, with one exception, we always use it.  We didn't from time to time when we pulled it with our previous motorhome, a 1999 Ford F53 Aerbus.  Same toad, less capable motorhome, but never had a problem stopping it.  The exception when we didn't use it with our new motorhome is when the system failed.  Disconnected on the big grades and just took it easy on the flat lands.  Did this with the old motorhome and actually did a few grades without disconnecting.  Braking systems are important, but just as important is applying a bit of common sense to your driving habits.  Don't drive at excessive rates of speed.  Don't tailgate and make sure the tires and brakes on your motorhome or tow vehicle are in good shape. 

From 1,500 to 10,000 lbs depending on state.  They can't all be right.

"Right" in this case is simply what the state laws permit or require. As with speed limits, it has nothing to do with the tow vehicle's actual capability.

The document applies to all personal transport tow vehicles and the trailers towed behind them.  Commercial vehicle towing rules will be different. Further, many states have specific laws for towing cars that are different than towing "trailers".  At first blush that doesn't make much sense, but the laws were developed to accommodate the need to move vehicles that cannot be legally driven on the highway or tow trucks moving vehicles around.

There are several similar compilations in the internet. 
Yes, there is a lot of difference between states.
No, it does not make sense.  It does not need to.  IT'S THE LAW!
REMEMBER, the state you are in sets the laws within its borders.  The laws for your home state only apply in your home state.*

*  Home state laws DO apply with regards to driver licenses and vehicle registration, but little else.

Another thing to check is the TRAILER towing laws.. I will see if I can get a description (legal type) of a trailer.. Hold on.... From the Michigan Vehicle Code, Same being section 257 of the compiled acts.  As stored on my hard drive, may have been updated since.

257.73 ?Trailer? defined.
Sec. 73. ?Trailer? means every vehicle with or without motive power, other than a pole-trailer, designed
for carrying property or persons and for being drawn by a motor vehicle and so constructed that no part of its
weight rests upon the towing vehicle.

That.. Describes a car towed "4 down" perfectly.. What it does not describe.. is a trailer.

In another place in the Code it tells you a "Trailer over xxxx pounds" needs aux brakes.

But My purpose in this post is to show how  towed VEHICLE rules can be confusing.

No part of a 4 down vehicle rests on tow vehicle,a trailer does.That does not make sense.

John From Detroit said:
Another thing to check is the TRAILER towing laws.. I will see if I can get a description (legal type) of a trailer.. Hold on.... From the Michigan Vehicle Code, Same being section 257 of the compiled acts.  As stored on my hard drive, may have been updated since.

257.73 ?Trailer? defined.
Sec. 73. ?Trailer? means every vehicle with or without motive power, other than a pole-trailer, designed
for carrying property or persons and for being drawn by a motor vehicle and so constructed that no part of its
weight rests upon the towing vehicle.

That.. Describes a car towed "4 down" perfectly.. What it does not describe.. is a trailer.

In another place in the Code it tells you a "Trailer over xxxx pounds" needs aux brakes.

But My purpose in this post is to show how  towed VEHICLE rules can be confusing.

That IS a bit fuzzy.
Though when properly loaded, only a small portion of the weight in a trailer should "rest on the towing vehicle"
I think they may have intended to differentiate between a trailer and a fifth wheel/goose-neck with that wordage.

garyb1st said:
The weight limitation on the towed vehicle is interesting.  From 1,500 to 10,000 lbs depending on state.  They can't all be right.  Many motorhome manufacturers state a max trailer weight when the trailer doesn't have brakes.  But I suspect, part of that limitation is to mitigate any legal liabilities.  We have a braking system on our Jeep Wrangler and, with one exception, we always use it.  We didn't from time to time when we pulled it with our previous motorhome, a 1999 Ford F53 Aerbus.  Same toad, less capable motorhome, but never had a problem stopping it.  The exception when we didn't use it with our new motorhome is when the system failed.  Disconnected on the big grades and just took it easy on the flat lands.  Did this with the old motorhome and actually did a few grades without disconnecting.  Braking systems are important, but just as important is applying a bit of common sense to your driving habits.  Don't drive at excessive rates of speed.  Don't tailgate and make sure the tires and brakes on your motorhome or tow vehicle are in good shape.

So True!  Very few folks even mention the potential failures of toad braking systems which can be dangerous as well.  These toad braking systems are designed to apply the brakes... If the brakes are applied unintentionally, it can get really dicey, really quickly.  They are also designed to not apply the brakes when not needed.  If the brakes are not applied when intended, it can result in a longer stopping distance.  Most of us believe that the braking system will work as intended but just like the recent missile alert in Hawaii, things do not always work as intended...  Like Mr. Murphy tells us, "if things can go wrong, they will"...

Many states have confusing laws about towed vehicles.  But vehicle laws are only worth however they are enforced.

In Ca there is a 55 mph speed limit for any vehicle towing anything....but it's not enforced that way, about 65+ is how they are enforcing the towing law.

South Carolina has a law prohibiting a vehicle towing a house trailer from going faster that 45 mph....really... 45 mph out on a highway is also dangerous. I doubt they enforce that law.

All laws on the books are only enforced... if there is a problem.

Back
Top Bottom