Rv smells like ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meganbaker

Hi my 5th wheel smells like ammonia I removed the fridge but the smell is still there and very strong anyone know what it could be?

Ruptured refer coils.  You need either a new refer or a new Amish cooling unit

Where are you,are you winterized with rv antifreeze in toilet bowl.Some of that stuff has a strong bitter smell.

If the fridge is gone but the aroma remains,  check the batteries. Also the waste water system, especially the air admittance vents on the gray water lines (at each sink drain).  The ammonia-like smell can be any of several similar smelling chemicals.

Ammonia is normally |Fridge issue but sometimes there can be other sources.  Plus there is always the chance you identified the aroma wrong (low in the case of Ammonia but not zero).

Some areas around the Fridge may have become contaminated. I'd let it air out for a day and then try to see where the aroma is the strongest.

Welcome to the Forum!

What is your camper?  Make and model.  New or used?  That may help us.

If you are carrying any DEF for a diesel motor emissions system, verify the jugs are not leaking.  DEF, aka horse pee, has a strong ammonia odor.

If used, urine on the bathroom floor or walls can get pretty ripe.

A good bet also like Gary said is the batteries. I would check them.

Bill

x 2 on the battery.  I had one boil dry due to my neglect in a Fifth Wheel many years ago.  Horrible smell and caused our Carbon Monoxide alarm to go off.  Battery was in a compartment on the side of the RV and the vapors easily entered the RV.

Back
Top Bottom