Pickup Toad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan de La Mesa

I've searched but can't find threads about the possibility of towing a small pickup behind a motorhome. Is there discussion of this somewhere? Thanks.

Current F150 4X4s are towable.

There's bound to be others

I towed a Ford Ranger 4X4 for a couple of years.  Worked well.

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon 4X4s are towable.

Thanks, M & M.

The CA DMV says that any towed "trailer" weighing over 1500 pounds must have its own brakes. I can't find anything about requirements for independent brakes on a towed car or truck. Anyone know?

A person I met at a campground said that some states require only that a towed car/truck over 3500 pounds have its own brakes. Again, anyone have this information?

The CA DMV says that any towed "trailer" weighing over 1500 pounds must have its own brakes.

Many states consider a towed car or pickup as a "trailer." I'd strongly suggest you have those brakes for safety, regardless of what the state may say.

This has been repeated many times here, but the laws of physics apply regardless of any state laws. Your motorhome WILL take farther to stop with an extra 3-4000 lbs pushing on it. The difference may be a matter of inches in some cases, but if those inches are the difference between a hit and a miss, the auxiliary brake system just paid for itself.

1. Towing a vehicle behind an RV is no different for trucks than for cars. It's just weight, equipment, a the specific vehicles mechanical limitations, if any.

2. State laws vary, so some states require brakes at lower towed weights than others. If legality is your only concern, it's just weight, brakes and lights. If safety enters into your decision, let me assure you that any towed vehicle that has active braking will enable you to stop the rig in a much shorter distance than one without any braking. The more the towed vehicle weighs, the more having its own brakes will help.
The CA DMV says that any towed "trailer" weighing over 1500 pounds must have its own brakes. I can't find anything about requirements for independent brakes on a towed car or truck. Anyone know?

I don't understand your question.  "must have its own brakes"  seems clear enough.  When the towing vehicle applies its brakes, the brakes on the towed vehicle also must be applied.  There are various add-on devices that do this, some permanently installed and some portable. They all work adequately.  Some popular auxiliary (towed vehicle) braking systems are Brake Buddy, RVI Brake, SMI Duo and Air  Force 1, and Brakemaster.

Generally speaking, 4x4 pick-up trucks that have a neutral position in the 4x4 transfer case can be towed. The method of getting it into that neutral position varies by make & model, of course. 2x4 pick-ups may possibly be made towable with the addition of either a driveline disconnect or a tranny lube pump - see Remco Towing at http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php

I towed a 4X2, 5 speed manual transmission Ford Ranger for over 60K miles with no problems.

To tow a 4X2 manual transmission vehicle, the oil slinger in the transmission MUST be connected to the output shaft of the transmission.

On a 4X4 vehicle you're putting the transfer case in neutral so the transmission never turns.

Towing a pick up is no different than towing a car.. They fall into, far as I know, 4 classes
1: may be towed, no mods save aux brakes and tow bar and tow lights or a diode bank.
2: May be towed with the above PLUS a lube pump, Axle lock or Drive shaft disconnect.
3: May be towed. special procedures need to be followed (IE: stop every 100 miles and start engine and run through the gears, NEED not move, just run through the gears)
4: May not be towed.

I can not give you the list but remco towing USA shuld be able to advise you. Go to the STORE page.

Back
Top Bottom