Dinghy towing vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tryon

I have a 2015 Jayco Precept 31UL. In the past I've flat towed a Ford Fiesta. I'd like to upgrade my dinghy to a larger vehicle that could hold a small motorcycle and some other storage, but since my hitch capacity is 5000 lbs., I'm worried about towing too much weight. I'm researching some of the new small "vans" - Ford Transit Connect, Dodge Promaster City, to keep the weight down, but they don't seem to be flat tow compatible and their weight is more than I thought. Also considering a 4WD Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon, but thinking the weight may be a problem. I also thought about a small lightweight (aluminum) 12-14 ft. trailer that could hold both a motorcycle and a tiny car - Toyota Yaris, Smart Car, or Fiat 500. Any thoughts or suggestions?

No good ideas - just about any way you do it is marginal at best. Any trailer that can haul a small car and motorcycle is going to weight in over 1000-1200 lbs all by itself. You probably need at least 16 ft of bed length for car & bike and 3500 lbs of weight capacity, even for a smaller bike and a Fiat 500 or Smart-for-two. That puts you at 4500-5000 lbs minimum, with no gear.

Might try a Ford F-150 pickup with the aluminum body and a small motorcycle in the bed. The trucks are flat towable and the aluminum bodies keep the weight down.  With a small motorcycle you might be able to keep it under 5000 lbs.

Even the aluminum F150 is gonna push the weight limits. A typical 2018 F150 XLT Super cab is around 4500 lbs and the Supercrew closer to 4650. A higher trim level or options pushes that up 50-100 lbs more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom