Best route to Fort Sill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trip56

I am going to be traveling from Chattanooga Tn. to Fort Sill Oklahoma in April for my Son's graduation from Army boot camp. We are wanting to travel in our travel trailer and then go on out west. What is the best route to travel and has anyone made a similar trip. We are not sure what RV parks are close to Fort Sill.

Trip56 said:
I am going to be traveling from Chattanooga Tn. to Fort Sill Oklahoma in April for my Son's graduation from Army boot camp. We are wanting to travel in our travel trailer and then go on out west. What is the best route to travel and has anyone made a similar trip. We are not sure what RV parks are close to Fort Sill.

Welcome to the forum. I can't help you with directions but I just wanted to reply because it brought back memories. I went to Fort Sill in July of 1966. The route I took will be a bit longer than yours. During that time there was a airplane strike. I had to take a train from Boston to Chicago and then to Fort Sill. It took three days. Yuk. I never want to ride on another train as long as I live.

Thanks for the reply my wife and have recently retired and we are looking forward to talking with everyone and learning things we will need to know about rving across the country

Just a little tip that may help out when you have questions. Go into your profile and create a signature of your self telling us a little bit about you.

Of Course I-24 and I-40 are the quickest route to Memphis (and 840 is now open all the way around from Murfreesboro to Dickson.

When you get to West Memphis, I recommend taking 55 north to Marion and follow US-64 west to Conway.
It is mostly two-lane road, but it is a far more pleasant drive that I-40 between Memphis and Little Rock.
You can pick up I-40 at Conway to OK City then I-44 to Ft Sill

If you want a more scenic route than I-40 through Oklahoma, at Little Rock, take I-30 West to the Hot Springs Exit. Hot Springs is a fun little town, with, among other things, some nice hot Springs ;) Would be a nice stopover point.
Then from Hot Springs, take US-70 westward. Again, a lot of two-lane small towns, and some hills. But you see some of the nicest country Oklahoma has to offer and IMHO, it beats fretting through I-40 traffic for a whole day. 

The scenic routes will cost you a couple, three extra hours driving time.

If you decide to stay with I-40, Russellville, AR is a good stopover point, with Park service campgrounds, and some decent RV parks, and decent restaurants.

There are several campgrounds in the area: Buffalo Bobs in Lawton and a few up by Elmer Thomas Lake. Maybe your son could check to see if he can get you into the Lake Elmer Thomas Recreation Area military campground.

Back
Top Bottom