Advice for family vacation with first TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there and welcome to the forum!

It's nice to see another young family on here as well. We are also brand new to this whole camping thing, but I will tell you, don't be intimidated with just jumping in. It is 100% accurate that you will learn by doing, and you will learn fast. If you bought your TT and did a couple small trips (we have stayed within a 2 hour radius of our home), you will gain the knowledge and confidence to do your Disney trip.

Don't wait another year of your kids' childhoods....just jump in!...and this forum is incredibly helpful, so don't hesitate to ask ALL your questions here.

Ryan F said:
That is the actual number on the door sticker.

cool thats really high for a 1500 gm and i must say im very very  suprised - i have never seen one so high but if it is that gives you a lot to play with.

You are learning all kinds of new stuff Steve..

A while ago,  you didn't know cars could tow travel trailers either.

First congrats on doing some research on your TV and TT, and having realistic expectations.  It's refreshing. :))
A soon as I read the title I said to myself, Oh boy here we go again. ;D

As far as your question, it's a good idea to take a few short trips with your trailer before heading on a long trip.
Be sure to get some highway/thruway travel in to get comfortable with towing on congested highways.  The common route to FL is heavily traveled.  There's a lot of small things with towing and setting up, that aren't complicated, but there is a learning curve.

TonyDtorch said:
You are learning all kinds of new stuff Steve..

A while ago,  you didn't know cars could tow travel trailers either.

wrong again Tony we pulled a trailer all over europe up the swiss alps and the andes with a car  -15 countries 3 different times plus i pulled a trailer to San Diego when i was 14 with a Ford LTD Country Squire STATION WAGON  - try again my friend

besides i really want to see that door decal because thats a MONSTER payload for that truck and im all about learning something new

steveblonde said:
besides i really want to see that door decal because thats a MONSTER payload for that truck and im all about learning something new

I believe 1929 is possible in the correct configuration.

GMC has the range of that vehicle with max tow at 1,650 to 2,250 lbs depending on options.
I would say they're not common, but they exist.

Here is the door decal

Attachments

• 8C91D5D1-668F-46EB-9446-D9753BAA5178.jpeg
    8C91D5D1-668F-46EB-9446-D9753BAA5178.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 56
Gods Country said:
I believe 1929 is possible in the correct configuration.

GMC has the range of that vehicle with max tow at 1,650 to 2,250 lbs depending on options.
I would say they're not common, but they exist.

Im not saying its impossible - given that the trucks today have a greater payload than even 2 yrs ago my 2010 ltz 6.2 with the hd package was a measly 1340 lbs so i really want to see how far they have come but even my ford has an actual payload of 1300lbs less than the brochure states
Inquiring minds wanna know lol
Soon 1/2 tons will out class 3/4 tons
Gm is bring back the 4500 and 5500 series trucks and a 1500 with a deisel so who knows is all very very cool

Ryan F said:
Here is the door decal

Wow thank you that is AWESOME who would have thought it possible 5 yrs ago that is really cool

At the Detroit auto show the 19's are prommissing even more capabilities from all the big three

Congratulations on your new adventure.  A couple of suggestions.  Hopefully, the TT comes with a weight distribution hitch and electric brakes.  If your truck is not set up for electric break you will nee to have that done before you get the TT.  If you are not used to towing, when you pick the trailer up, drive around a bit before going home.  Get used to having it behind you.  Notice the difference in braking distance.  If you are going to park at home, consider having an electrical outlet installed near the trailer that will allow you to plug in and run the electric.  I suspect you are 30 amp so you will want a 30 amp outlet.  Practice camping in your trailer.  Once the weather gets decent, go to a local campground for a weekend.  Do a complete set up so you can see what it is like.  This will help show you what you have forgotten to pack.  :)  We have all been there. If you have the time do an extended, three or four day trip.  Finally, make lists. Lots of lists, from what to pack to what you will eat on your trip.  A setup and teardown list is invaluable.  As me about forgetting to use a tear down list and driving off with the TV antenna up.  With a little prep you will be ready to tackle FL by this Summer.  Enjoy the trip.

First, 900 miles is 18 hours sitting in the truck. Is that going to work with your family. 2 days with 2 drivers and one asleep in the cab 3-4 days with one driver (I do 800 solo in about 2 days)

Make sure Truck is big enough.  Do not even look at the F-150 Class or Chevy 10.

Finally some general vacation advice

DO not try to cram 3 weeks of fun into a 2 week time slot, IT DOES NOT WORK.

What does work is 2 weeks of FUN in a 3 Week time slot, If you have an "Issue" or if you want to add an attraction. Not a problem. Even a day of rest fits in

Ryan F:

1. Ignore the bickering and name calling - while it happens from time to time, it's not the norm here.

2. Once you are comfortable towing the new TT, I say go for it. We've done a few longer trips from upstate NY including Bar Harbor ME (2 weeks), Myrtle Beach and Washington DC (1 week at each place), and Yellowstone (3 weeks). All of those trips included some loooong driving days and yes some of those days just plain sucked but the entire trips made it all worth it. We all made some lasting memories!

Joezeppy said:
Ryan F:

1. Ignore the bickering and name calling - while it happens from time to time, it's not the norm here.

2. Once you are comfortable towing the new TT, I say go for it. We've done a few longer trips from upstate NY including Bar Harbor ME (2 weeks), Myrtle Beach and Washington DC (1 week at each place), and Yellowstone (3 weeks). All of those trips included some loooong driving days and yes some of those days just plain sucked but the entire trips made it all worth it. We all made some lasting memories!

Take Joezeppy's advise and don't pay any attention to the back and forth. I don't how old steveblonde is but Tony and I are really old and hard to deal with.  I just have a hard time being quiet when I think someone is being bullied. That being said we have taken several trips with our grandkids and the TT. I used to drive 12-14 hours a day. I told my wife we were no longer going to do that. I would say take your time and enjoy the trip. If you try to get to your destination to quickly you and everyone else will be worn out before you get. Vacations are supposed to be relaxing and fun.

steveblonde said:
No the correct response was posted - but im sorry your a dick, yes i did belive him like  i said capabiliites have increased a ton my old  2010 1500 was 1300lbs , 1900 lbs is a 50 % increase in less than 7 years i find that realy realy cool. And i learnt something - did you?

What you don't realize is the engineers often reset the Yellow Sticker limits as they are primarily there to prevent excessive warranty costs. (it's all about money, not safety)  The actual limits of structural failure are far over the Yellow Sticker limits.

Tires are the biggest weight limiting factor.

Remember the Ford Explorer and the tire blowout lawsuits and nobody would hook even a rental trailer up to one...it was all because Ford cheaped out on the OEM tire size and recommended air pressure.  (But the Yellow Sticker said it was all good to go  ;D)

TonyDtorch said:
What you don't realize is the engineers often reset the Yellow Sticker limits as they are primarily there to prevent excessive warranty costs. (it's all about money, not safety)  The actual limits of structural failure are far over the Yellow Sticker limits.

Tires are the biggest weight limiting factor.

Remember the Ford Explorer and the tire blowout lawsuits and nobody would hook even a rental trailer up to one...it was all because Ford cheaped out on the OEM tire size and recommended air pressure.  (But the Yellow Sticker said it was all good to go  ;D)

you are 100% correct no arguement from me - but herein lays the issue and insurance company/ manufacturer will find any reason they can to deny a claim PERIOD and if they approve a claim they will find a way to discount the payment.  Thereby screwing you every which way to sunday. 

So, then you are freaking out about if,  you ever have an accident, ...and if it was your fault,  if there is an investigation by the insurance company (largely based on if a good accident report was done at the scene)...if They can find and prove criminal negligence in front of a jury and then if you should be held financially liable.

Wow !  That's way too much worrying about if for me.......

What about after you survive all that ... if you get hit by an asteroid  ?    ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom