Domestic Truck Choice for Arctic Fox 811 Camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oregonnativekory

Hi there,

I am looking in to truck campers and have narrowed it down to an Arctic Fox 811 camper. I currently have a Toyota Tundra which is not going to work for a camper of this size. What would be your recommendation for a single wheel, short box truck. The guy at the lot said to go with as long of a short box as you can get. I am looking at Ram 3500, Ford F-350, Chevy 3500 HD, and GMC 3500 HD. I do not want an "overly long" truck and would prefer not to go with a dually, as the truck will be my daily driver. Any recommendations? Is the bed length on the Dodge 3500 of 76.3" too short? Anyone with pictures of an 811 on a ram or any other truck would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kory

I believe the Arctic Fox 811 is designed for a long bed p/u, i.e. an 8' (96") bed.  76" is probably too short.  Call Arctic Fox customer line (not the salesman) and ask about letting the last 20" of the camper hanging out the back. 

You are good for going with a one ton p/u.  Just be sure the p/u with single rear wheels will handle the weight.

2873  Dry weight
400  Full water tank
400  Approximate weight of mostly full black & gray tanks
800  Tools, gear, clothes, food and "stuff"
400  Weight of 2 passengers (not saying you weigh that much, just as an approximate number)
4800 Total weight of camper and everything in it, including passengers while driving. 

Truck campers lend themselves to dry camping and/or boondocking so the tanks being somewhat to close to being full is something to be considered.  500-1000 pounds of "gear & stuff" is a reasonable figure.  Many people don't think they will carry that much until they weigh everything when at some point they unload it. 

Back
Top Bottom