Power Input replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ysidive

I have been reading on many forums about problems with the Receptacle of RV's having burnt connections due to loose connections or not too solid connections with the three prong twist connections.... I am currently in the process of changing my input and cordset to a  SMARTPLUG... Just wondering if anyone has already done this... If so are you happy with the change?  Seems so much better than the twist and the screw ring connection... Easier and a more secure connection without having to fight to line up the threads on the screw ring... Just looking for some feedback on my proposed change.....

Got this:  https://www.recpro.com/electrical/plugs-connectors/30-amp-white-inlet-with-125-volt-female-connector-and-boot/  on order to replace the power inlet and cord end on my coach.  They have a 50amp version also.

The SmartPlug might be OK, but replacement parts might be an issue if and when you need them.  While I am the exception here, I got rid of the miserable disconnect entirely and hard wired the cord.  After seeing loose connections and water leaks within the connector it was time to say goodbye to a fire hazard.  Using a modified locking hatch in a larger size, I can pull out only what I need and can reach inside if it ever knots.  To prevent knotting, I added a tether cord that clips behind the plug.  The other opinions will be along shortly.

ysidive said:
Seems so much better than the twist and the screw ring connection... Easier and a more secure connection without having to fight to line up the threads on the screw ring

When you say you have to fight with lining up the threads on the screw ring, I assume you're talking about the style Wally is talking about. I have that style and I've never had any issues with arching or lining up the threads. When you twist the plug into the receptacle, it is a very tight fit. I do make sure the circuit breaker at the CG pedestal is off before I make the connections so there is no chance of arching. 

I have never had issues linking up the threads on teh screw ring. however.. You can simply remove it. That ring is to seal the rubber like boot to the inlet.. Very important in MARINE applicastions.

Mine got lost (i'd like a nother screw on one but I've not found on in a brick and mortar and do not care to on-line though I may if Amazon has one as I need to order something else).

IF you are worried about getting replacements, shoudl noe be needed,,, Double your order and casrry a spare.

Back
Top Bottom