Amazon "Camperforce"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldgator73

https://secondnexus.com/social/camperforce-amazon-utilized-retirees-fulfill-orders-holidays/?utm_content=inf_10_1164_2&tse_id=INF_410797d0f8c211e781c71b876dfcb7a1

I was going to post this in Workcamper but there is so much more in the article.

I get a chuckle out of these articles. The authors always seem amazed that Amazon actually expects physical labor in exchange for an hourly wage. And from seniors, no less!  Do they really believe that a company should hire and pay workers, but not expect work from them if over 65? Or that the RVers were somehow coerced or bamboozled into taking the jobs?

Yes, working in an Amazon distribution warehouse is hard work.  Especially for old joints that aren't very amenable to lifting, long hours on the feet, etc. Yet RVers and nomads flock to these jobs.  And Amazon is thankful to have them, since younger, more physically capable people haven't shown much interest. Understandable, perhaps, since it is seasonal work and probably not close to their homes either.

Nor should it come as any great surprise that retired people often need some extra money.  They find work wherever they can, grocery stores, Walmart, Lowes & Home Depot, etc.  Social Security is a subsistence aid, not a senior vacation plan.

Sorry, I guess this is turning into a rant. I'll desist now...

What Gary said. Some people seem to think that if an employer agrees to pay a certain wage, and a worker agrees to do the work at that wage, someone is being abused. Sorry, but this is called free market enterprise. If those people don't agree with the system, they are not obliged to partake of it.

Here's some straight talk from somebody that has actually worked there in multiple locations and multiple positions:

http://www.interstellarorchard.com/2012/06/26/about-amazons-camperforce/

One asrticle I read ask the question of is it even legal..  THat said I did not read the entire article as my interest level went down swiftly as I read.

It seemed it was written by someone just trying to get a paycheck by reporting hearsay, and not really doing any true investigation.

kdbgoat said:
Here's some straight talk from somebody that has actually worked there in multiple locations and multiple positions:

Thank you for the link. I saved it in favorites. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it. I have a hard time making it all the way through Sam's or Costco. Bad knees. A 10 hour shift standing the whole time would be out of the question. Sounds like a good deal for those that are in good enough physical shape.

Punomatic said:
What Gary said. Some people seem to think that if an employer agrees to pay a certain wage, and a worker agrees to do the work at that wage, someone is being abused. Sorry, but this is called free market enterprise. If those people don't agree with the system, they are not obliged to partake of it.

I had the same thoughts as I was reading the article. Folks have free will. Work there or not. You can quit if you don't like it.

John From Detroit said:
One asrticle I read ask the question of is it even legal..  THat said I did not read the entire article as my interest level went down swiftly as I read.

I'm not understanding why anyone (not you John) would think this would be illegal.

kdbgoat said:
It seemed it was written by someone just trying to get a paycheck by reporting hearsay, and not really doing any true investigation.

Based on the article you linked to in your previous post I would have to agree with you. Sounds like the person that wrote the article I linked to only talked to folks that did not like the experience or knew people that said they didn't like it. Maybe the author of the article got some bad deals on Amazon.  ;D

Oldgator73 said:
Thank you for the link. I saved it in favorites. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it. 

Nor could I at this point. Been riding a desk too long. Had stress test Friday, waiting to see what cardiologist has to say about it on the 24th. Then start working to get back in shape.
As far as the link, she puts out some pretty straight info on her site. If I remember correctly, she's a member here and posted when she first got started. She seems like a pretty tough young lady, with a good attitude.

kdbgoat said:
Nor could I at this point. Been riding a desk too long. Had stress test Friday, waiting to see what cardiologist has to say about it on the 24th. Then start working to get back in shape.
As far as the link, she puts out some pretty straight info on her site. If I remember correctly, she's a member here and posted when she first got started. She seems like a pretty tough young lady, with a good attitude.

Stress test. Have you ever had a chemical stress test? I have a hard time on the treadmill (knees) so had to have one. Would rather be waterboarded.

Oldgator73 said:
Stress test. Have you ever had a chemical stress test? I have a hard time on the treadmill (knees) so had to have one. Would rather be waterboarded.

That's what this one was. Since it has only been 30 days since my stroke, they wanted to be able to use the reversal drug in case I had an issue. If I was on the treadmill, they wouldn't be able to reverse anything. It wasn't too bad to me, but it sure was a rush when that stuff kicked in. Instant feeling of "I just finished running a 440" type of breathing. Sure was easier on the leg muscles though.

This article isn?t really about work campers. Instead it is really just about Amazon and their labor practices in general. They have gotten a lot of bad press, and some of it seems deserved. I was a desk jockey for my entire career, so I know I couldn?t do the job.

UTTransplant said:
This article isn?t really about work campers. Instead it is really just about Amazon and their labor practices in general. They have gotten a lot of bad press, and some of it seems deserved. I was a desk jockey for my entire career, so I know I couldn?t do the job.

Did you read kdbgoat's post with link? The link is from some one that actually did the job. Their experience was completely the opposite from what the article I posted indicates.

kdbgoat said:

I was replying to the original post. Obviously some people do well at Amazon, but Amazon has have been cited by labor regulators for multiple violations of labor laws. It was big news in our area when we were in the running for a fulfillment center.

After reading both articles I get the impression that Amazon is recruiting workers that are use to manual labor. A typical camperforce worker is probably not working to make a little extra spending money for the holidays and Amazon seems to be taking advantage of that.
A job at Walmart probably pays as much with a little more respect.

Here's an article about Amazon's full time employee's job satisfaction. http://www.businessinsider.com/the-worst-parts-about-working-at-amazon-according-to-employees-2015-8

Gary RV_Wizard said:
You gotta be kidding!

Referring to the respect part; I don't think Walmart checks to see if you stole anything everytime you go home and as far as I know they don't have a system in place to rat on your fellow employees. At Amazon they call it a PIP, personal improvement program. It's intention is NOT to improve but to gather data to fire you.

But I've never worked at either place and hope I never have to. 

Walmart has a simpler solution - they just stop scheduling the part time employee for any work hours. He never gets fired, but never gets another paycheck either. And no way to protest or demand a reason for it.

Reports indicate Walmart pay averages $9.18/hr for for part-time clerks and cashiers, and about $1 more of night shift stock clerks.  Those on fulltime get $1 more after they complete training.  They recently stated they will begin to increase that to $11, but no time frame given.

Just a small point when you compare Walmart to Camper force at Amazon:  Walmart has 1 million employees. I doubt the Camper force is even a fraction of that. From reading the articles it sounds to me like the job requirements are pretty well laid out.  It does not appear that they are trying to sneak anything in on the worker.  The first article has several deliberate errors such as you work 10 hours straight with only two 10 minute breaks that are not paid. The lady's article is much more explanatory and written by somebody who has actually walked the walk and talked the talk.  She sounded like she was being honest with her assessment.  In the end, it is a job - if you don't like it then don't apply.  But in no way should the writers be implying that these 'po ole folks' are being taken advantage of.  The first article does exactly that - like many others I just quit reading it about half way through.  It was easy to see where it was going.  I would, if necessary, work for Walmart but I would not work for Amazon.  First, the physical requirements would exceed my capabilities but even if I where capable the thought of working for Mr Jeff Bezos is repelling to me.  JMHO.

PS:  I see where Walmart is, thanks to the tax cut, now giving out bonuses ranging from $200 to $1000.  Still waiting for Amazon to join that parade.  Several dozen other large companies are doing it also

Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom