Dually Tire Rotation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

called a few shops in the area to see about getting the tires on the dually rotated and 2 of then said that most people don't get the dually tires rotated. the manual shows every 7500 miles so it is getting to be time to do that.

any thoughts on the rotation? the tires look great and don't show any abnormal wear.
thanks

Sorry its a non issue because you would have to take each tire off the rim and remount them. The fronts are different finish (outsidefinshed/polished) thanthe outer rear( inside is polished/ finished) and the rear insidewheels are just steelys.Do you really want  to mount and  balance 6 wheels every time.

The manaul is just a generic one for all 350's srw and dually

steveblonde said:
Sorry its a non issue because you would have to take each tire off the rim and remount them. The fronts are different finish (outsidefinshed/polished) thanthe outer rear( inside is polished/ finished) and the rear insidewheels are just steelys.Do you really want  to mount and  balance 6 wheels every time.

The manaul is just a generic one for all 350's srw and dually

I had a 97 Dodge 1 ton and I don't remember that being a issue. I use to rotate mine.  Maybe today, things are different.

the manual shows the left front and right front swap
the rears go from the left side to the right side- so I don't have to  mount and  balance the wheels

I'd never take a front, left to front right.  Sounds like a sure fire way to get a wobble at high speeds.  Keep it aligned

Hi,

I just did a search on this topic on the internet. Came across some comments from this forum. The consensus (from what I read) is that tires tend to age out faster than wear out (unless you travel a lot in 7 years or so). Unless you have signs of uneven wear (then you need to get an alignment). I looks like most suggest to just leave tires as they are. One idea that I liked is to turn them around on opposite side of tire in order to help with UV damage. I'd like to rotate my spare tire in so it gets some use, but could be a problem to do this.

They suggested that CARE needs to be used in order to not put higher wear tires on the back (dually) as that could cause you to have tires on one side carrying more of the load than more heavily wore tire that is switched with it.

https://mhs2go.com/blog/when-and-where-should-i-get-my-motorhome-tires-rotated/

Long story short, keep an eye out for uneven wear, don't rotate because they will age out before they wear out.

camperAL said:
Hi,

I just did a search on this topic on the internet. Came across some comments from this forum. The consensus (from what I read) is that tires tend to age out faster than wear out (unless you travel a lot in 7 years or so). Unless you have signs of uneven wear (then you need to get an alignment). I looks like most suggest to just leave tires as they are. One idea that I liked is to turn them around on opposite side of tire in order to help with UV damage. I'd like to rotate my spare tire in so it gets some use, but could be a problem to do this.

They suggested that CARE needs to be used in order to not put higher wear tires on the back (dually) as that could cause you to have tires on one side carrying more of the load than more heavily wore tire that is switched with it.

https://mhs2go.com/blog/when-and-where-should-i-get-my-motorhome-tires-rotated/

Long story short, keep an eye out for uneven wear, don't rotate because they will age out before they wear out.

In some ways, there oughta be a way to get the "5-6" year old tires with 80% of the tread left traded to a trucking company as a credit for new tires... The trucking company gets a serviceable tire for a low cost which they will wear out in a few months and the RV gets new tires for less...  I guess there are so many more trucks than RVs it doesn't matter.

thanks for the info- here is a picture from the manual.

Attachments

• dually rotation.PNG
    dually rotation.PNG
    32.2 KB · Views: 36
SMR said:
thanks for the info- here is a picture from the manual.

On my 5th DRW now... the above is what I do.. every 3rd oil change. Got 4 years and 60K out the OEM's (General's). Knowing the right tire pressures, for the Laden load per axle, then per tire.. and maintaining those pressures is the Key (?). 

Help me please - im am on my 2nd dually that my wheels are chrome. My rear wheels the outside 2 are polished aluminimun alcoa and the 2 inside are steel painted, the rears are deep dish and the front are reverse dish  with unpolished back sides.
Now on all steel wheels i can see rotating but how with polished wheels? Sorry maybe im having a blonde moment, please clue me in - thanks steve

Edit sorry answered my own question Thanks Smr

First of all, rotating those tires is probably totally unnecessary. If you don't observe any variation in wear between left & right sides, what is to be gained?  And if there is a variation, you need to get it diagnosed and fixed before rotating. Then you can do the side-to-side rotation to even out the dissimilar wear patterns.

Some vehicles put substantially more wear on front tires than on the rears, cause the fronts do the steering and more than half the braking. Those vehicles can benefit from a front-to-rear rotation, but that's often not practical for dual wheel vehicles, e.g. those with a mix of plain and styled wheels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom