Rear stabilizer jacks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coopster8

Stupid question?? I just purchased  a 2009 keystone challenger 5th wheel, and found out that rear stabilizer jacks are a little bent, how do i find out which ones i need to replace them, im pretty sure the can be repaired, but to be safe ill just replace them.. i wish i could get electric ones, but maybe in time.. ill drop the cash if i can

I am pretty sure they are a stock item. Just check the weight range to be sure they are sturdy enough.

If they go up and down, I wouldn't worry.  If they are hard to go up and down, maybe clean the grease and road grime off, and spray a dry grease on them.  WD40 makes a great dry grease, never any problems.  If you still feel they need replaced, Amazon. 

We have these "Lippert Components Power Stabilizer Trailer Jack Item # LC298707" on the back of our 5er.  A little pricey, but does a better job than the standard crank down stabilizers.

Jeslookin said:
We have these "Lippert Components Power Stabilizer Trailer Jack Item # LC298707" on the back of our 5er.  A little pricey, but does a better job than the standard crank down stabilizers.

X2. I have the same. Real nice.. pushing rocker switch vice a hand crank or a drill motor. And they provide some diagonal stability ? :)) :))

Thank you all, i wrote to an retailer asking the same question and they stated any will do, so was looking at the 6500 lbs for about 80.00 but they did send me a link for an electric one.. yeah right im giving you 2400.00.. and now to see 400.00 that is do able.. ill look a little more into the one you suggested.. looks and sound what i want

As suggested you might see if the old ones work. Stabilizes are just snugged up to the frame to take some motion out of the frame. They are not expected to support the frame.

I snagged the front stabilizer on my TT. It is a bit wobbly but snugs up nicely when cranked up. I put about and inch or so of lift on each the corner.

As you discovered, new ones are fairly cheap if you want to spend the money. 

RGP said:
As suggested you might see if the old ones work. Stabilizes are just snugged up to the frame to take some motion out of the frame. They are not expected to support the frame.

I snagged the front stabilizer on my TT. It is a bit wobbly but snugs up nicely when cranked up. I put about and inch or so of lift on each the corner.

As you discovered, new ones are fairly cheap if you want to spend the money.
I agree completely.  All they do is STABILIZE, not support.  If you continue to use them and it breaks, NO BIG DEAL!  The FW will not be as rock hard stable until it is replaced.  While they are very nice, they are NOT REQUIRED to use the camper.

Almost any style will work for a replacement as long as it can handle the weight.  Power options are great.  Otherwise, a portable drill with the right socket bit can make it a powered unit.

There is no such thing as a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

I bought my first 5er last year. It is permanently parked in an RV park now and I plan on living here until I die in 20 or 30 years since I love the RV and I love the site. After it was here for a month I noticed some jacks in the back that appear to be stabilizers. However the unit is as solid as a rock without them being deployed so I see no reason to deploy them.

If the stabs aren't too bad, keep or repair. You can make them elect/power stabs with a cordless drill and spend the $ you save on beer.  ;) ;D

The rear stabilizers being electric is nowhere near as important as the front landing gear. The front requires lots of cranking: the rear, not so much.

They dont sit flat on the ground and when im inside the rear rocks a little maybe i didnt set them correctly, before i purchase new ones i will gladly try the 1" rule.. and yes better to save cash for my beers?

Coopster8 said:
They dont sit flat on the ground and when im inside the rear rocks a little maybe i didnt set them correctly, before i purchase new ones i will gladly try the 1" rule.. and yes better to save cash for my beers?
Get a big hammer and make some "adjustments". 

A little movement is not unusual.  If it is troublesome, get Steady Fast.

Ryan, i was in the same boat as you about three months ago when my wife and i purchased our first camper.  We took a short trip of around 200 miles to figure things out and then planned our trip to disney with the kids.  We just got back from our 1700 mile round trip to disney sunday.  It was awesome and I am so glad that we decided to do it.  We stopped on the way down and on the way back overnight just to break the trip up.  We stopped at Eagles Roost RV Park in lake park GA on the way down and then took a slight detour and spent two nights @ Tybee Island GA just outside of Savannah GA .  We had a blast, just dont forget to ask questions and learn as much as you can before you hit the road. 

Good Luck!!

RGP said:
I put about and inch or so of lift on each the corner.

If you have have an electric tongue jack, level the trailer front to rear, then drop the front an inch.  Go to the rear stabilizers and just lightly touch them to the ground, then raise the tongue back to level, or slightly above.

Now do the same for the front stabilizers and lower the tongue jack just until some weight is placed on the front stabilizers.  Don't take the tongue jack entirely off the ground because the stabilizers aren't rated to support the full weight.

This lets the electric tongue jack do all of the work instead of having to actually raise the trailer using the stabilizer cranks.

The trick works with 5th wheels, too.

Coopster8 said:
I would crank them down half way or a bit more and try to bend the unit with your foot so the footing on the rear stabilizer sits flat. I have done this with my electric stabilizers and it works.
What probably happened is the previous owner hooked up before he raised the rear stabilizers. Doing this will bend the stabilizers.
I have done this before and just used my foot (tech from the dealer that sold me my trailer showed me this trick) and they deploy and work as new.
Save your money for something important.

Stan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom