Must have been headed to FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Traveling in weather like that makes absolutely no sense at all!!!!!!!!  The had a place to stay the night right behind them!

Memtb said:
  Chains/cables on both tow vehicle and trailer may not have prevented this....but darn sure wouldn?t have hurt!  ;)

It was only a dusting. Chains would have tore apart in no time on nearly bare pavement. Then the truck and RV would have been torn apart by the failed chains.  I used them years ago but only when the snow was at least 8"  deep and as soon as the roads got plowed, they had to be removed.  They also torn up the pavement. In some states, chains cannot be used after a certain date.

plus the max speed on most chains is about 35 mph or they start to come apart.

Rene T said:
It was only a dusting. Chains would have tore apart in no time on nearly bare pavement. Then the truck and RV would have been torn apart by the failed chains.  I used them years ago but only when the snow was at least 8"  deep and as soon as the roads got plowed, they had to be removed.  They also torn up the pavement. In some states, chains cannot be used after a certain date.

Probably should have been more clear:  Chains for deep snow or mud, cables for ice. No travel is best! Sometimes you must!

Trailers and Ice don't mix even with chains.  My rule when towing is .....when it starts to ice up.... just get off the road.

Couple days after Christmas 1972 I was towing a trailer down I-20 at about 25 mph with the flashers on, in a freezing rain, somewhere near Swee****er Texas,  the sun was going down and I was skating across every bridge trying to get to a town,  they closed the interstate down and I was stuck for 11 days because of an impassable ice-storm.

Swee****er was the most wonderful town in the world my wife and I could have ever got stuck in,  God Bless Texas.

(special thanks to the Smith family for taking us in)

That's clearly a transport driver, I live just about 1/2 mile off of I-69 in Fishers, and see them everyday. Remember about 80% of all TT are built in Northern Indiana, and they need to get them south to you snowbirds somehow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom