Florida car/truck insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wonderlust

Eek - found out that my truck insurance increased 5 fold! from the premium I had using my Texas address! I needed to transfer my insurance to FL so I could get my truck registered in FL. This is such a major expense increase, I wonder why Florida is considered as good a domicile as TX.

Anyone with suggestions?

Wonderlust said:
Anyone with suggestions?

Move back to TX?  ;)

I found out the same thing a few years ago when my oldest daughter went to Mayo in FL for her internship - I was stunned at the insurance cost.

There are a lot of variables impacting your insurance premium from state to state (and even within the state):  overall number of claims, overall cost of claims, traffic density, fraud claims, willingness of the state insurance regulars to approve higher insurance rates (hence premiums), etc. etc.  Those same factors do not necessarily influence the desirability of a particular location as a domicile.  Personally, insurance notwithstanding I'd rather live in Florida than Texas.

When I moved from a Nevada domicile to living full time in Florida I was shocked at the increase in my car insurance. It went from $90 per six months to $90 a month. But Florida is worth it since everything else is cheaper.  ;D

Florida is a demolition derby as anyone who has driven on our highways can testify.  ;D 8)

Insurance rates in Florida vary dramatically from the metro areas to the more rural communities, so you home zipcode can make a huge difference.

But yeah, insurance expense in Florida is relatively high compared to some other states. Pretty much the same as many others, though, e.g. NY-New England, California, etc..

My car and RV insurance premium just went up 12% and when I asked why, I was told that Safeco has to recover its costs due to the hurricane damaged RV's caused from Irma. Florida is always getting hit with increases due to one reason or another, usually the weather or the fact that this has always been known as a retirement state. I'm hoping my insurance rates drop when I move to Arizona.

Florida is also the home of the staged accident coipled with crooked doctors.

So true, but another big cost factor is the large number of uninsured vehicles & drivers. That's mostly a problem in South Florida and the Tampa/StPete area, but it affects rates across the state. Most policies cite Uninsured Motorist Coverage as a separate line item, so if you compare that for your Florida insurance vs another state you will likley find a major difference.

An anecdote: Back in the day when I was doing product development in IBM's labs in Boca Raton, FL, I was expecting three guys from IBM's Mexico City sales office to visit (to preview a new product). They were hours late in arriving and I finally heard from them at the Miami airport. They couldn't get a rental car because none of them had a driver license! It seems that one is not actually needed in Mexico, so none of them had ever bothered to get one.  We got them hooked up with a limo service to deliver them to our labs, and when they arrived, the team leader called his office back in Mexico City to explain the problem. Somebody back in the Mexico office went out and got a driver license issued in the name of our visitor and had it delivered overnight to him at his hotel, so the next morning he got a rental car.  Go figure...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom