Fun With Propane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love it.  that's something I've always wanted to play with.

I made a flame thrower by adapting a piece of copper pipe to a 5lb propane bottle.(no regulator) light it by just cracking the valve open then turn the tank upside down to spew out the lit liquid. The purpose was to  kill the wasp nests under the eave of the building and it worked great until I set the corner of the roof on fire.......no damage I had a water hose beside me but it sure did cook those wasps!!

catblaster said:
I made a flame thrower by adapting a piece of copper pipe to a 5lb propane bottle.(no regulator) light it by just cracking the valve open then turn the tank upside down to spew out the lit liquid. The purpose was to  kill the wasp nests under the eave of the building and it worked great until I set the corner of the roof on fire.......no damage I had a water hose beside me but it sure did cook those wasps!!
[/quote

"...but it sure did cook those wasps!!" What do you serve with wasp? A nice wedge salad and maybe some grilled asparagus?

I dream of shooting a propane tank with a tracer round.  8) :))        (of course out in the middle of nowhere )

That was really interesting!  Thanks for sharing.  I've worked around butane and propane my whole life and learned to be really comfortable working around it.  I remember back in the 1950's butane was essentially free in the summer when the refineries were producing more than they could store.  We added butane tanks and modified our gas farm tractors  to burn gas or butane to take advantage of it.  But there was a problem with it in the winter because it would freeze at 31 degrees and wouldn't vaporize so we couldn't use it.  As a result, we bought propane for heating and such in the winter.  I remember building a wood fire under a butane tank so it would thaw out and produce vapor so we could heat our shop.

during the oil embargo years a company I worked for switched a couple of the larger gas trucks to propane....there was a noticeable reduction in the power.

The most fun I ever had with propane involved a "Christmas Tree" nozzle array connected to a bobtail delivery truck. Two 2-1/2" handlines pushing fire back until the valve at the base of the tree could be turned off. Good times!

Oldgator73 said:
catblaster said:
[/quote

"...but it sure did cook those wasps!!" What do you serve with wasp? A nice wedge salad and maybe some grilled asparagus?

Maybe some fava beans and a nice chianti?

HappyWanderer said:
The most fun I ever had with propane involved a "Christmas Tree" nozzle array connected to a bobtail delivery truck. Two 2-1/2" handlines pushing fire back until the valve at the base of the tree could be turned off. Good times!

I've had the privilege to do the same thing. It's real scary for a rookie. The only difference was that we used two 1-1/2" hand lines with TSP nozzles.

Back
Top Bottom