Pro Series WD Hitch & Anti-Sway - Is it good enough for my setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ricgamecock

We?re going into our second year of RVing.  Jumped in with a big one, pre-owned 2013 36? Keystone Outback TT.  Last year we towed with my 2015 F150 and decided this year that we definitely needed to upgrade as the trailer weighs roughly 9,000 lbs loaded.  Just purchased a 2017 F350 4x4 Crew Cab, Long Bed SRW with the 6.7 Diesel which we know will be a much better tow vehicle. 

As we are planning a 6,000+ mile cross-country trip this summer I?m trying to figure out what to do about our WD Hitch setup.  The trailer came with a Pro Series WD hitch with a single friction anti-sway bar.  Naturally we felt a lot of sway last year with the single bar and the 1/2-ton truck. 

My question is whether purchasing a second anti-sway bar for the existing setup and towing behind the 1-ton truck will be adequate, or do I need to break down and buy an Equalizer or equivalent setup to attain better performance.  I?m not looking to spend money for no reason, but traveling from the east coast to Idaho and back this summer, I?d definitely rather not be white-knuckle the entire trip.  Will that second anti-sway combined with the bigger truck do the trick, or should I buy a new hitch setup?  Thanks in advance for the advice!

You should be just fine that truck will pull most anything with very little issue, my suggestion is try with your existing setup a couple of short trips - but honestly i dont thing you need to spend the cash unless its on steak and beer while your camping

Ps we live just north of Idaho in Alberta and we be going back east again this summer Detroit,Chicago area we did the trip last summer and cant wait to do it again but slower so we can see more this year

Agree with Steve.

Besides, if the trailer is set up properly (front-rear balance so the tongue weight is 10-12%), you won't get any sway. Those frictions devices are mostly a feel-good thing anyway. If 9000 lb of trailer decides to go sideways, that little friction plate ain't gonna help!

Back
Top Bottom