Streaks on windshield from roof?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wijames2002

I have streaks on my windshield from the runoff from my roof and I can't seem to find anything that will remove them. any suggestions?

I use my extended handle brush and car wash soap to start.  Then I grab a spray bottle of window cleaner and a roll of paper towels.  No substitute for elbow grease.
Waiting for the temps to climb into the 40s so I can do 'em again.  I usually do them about once a month when parked, or the morning we leave if getting ready to pull out.

Old_Crow said:
I use my extended handle brush and car wash soap to start.  Then I grab a spray bottle of window cleaner and a roll of paper towels.  No substitute for elbow grease.
Waiting for the temps to climb into the 40s so I can do 'em again.  I usually do them about once a month when parked, or the morning we leave if getting ready to pull out.

I've tried that with no results. I've even tried 409, industrial glass cleaner and vinegar without success.

The white residue is pigment from the EPDM rubber roof. Depending on what chemicals it gets mixed with in the water runoff (industrial smoke/chemicals in the air), it can be really difficult to get off.  If solvents like vinegar or ammonia won't do it, try lacquer thinner or acetone. They dissolve most anything (so be careful where you apply (or spill) it.

If those don't work, you will need to buff the film off the glass.  You can buy special glass polishing compounds in some hardware stores or Amazon & Ebay, but an automotive rubbing compound works just as well and costs less.  One old body shop trick is to mix lacquer thinner with rubbing compound, on the theory that the thinner softens the film and the grit in the compound moves it away.  You can also use a synthetic polishing pad with a very fine grit, e.g. 3M Scotchbrite or similar.

Go to the hardware store and pick up some 00000 steel wool. If they don't have it, you can use a 0000 steel wool. I wouldn't go any coarser.

I have a fiberglass roof and I still was getting streaks all down the windshield from all the ocean morning dew.

I got tired of cleaning them every day... so I bought a piece of this white flexible adhesive mounted drip channel with and put it all along above the windshield.

Fixed it. 

Tip....If you put it your rig,  make sure the highest point is in the center and it slopes down a bit off to the sides, otherwise water will pool up and drip.

You didn't say how long the streaks are on the window before trying to clean them. I have same problem. Pick up rig from outside storage after a month and there are the streaks A company that installed a new window on my RV put me on to this product. It works great and I mean great.  It's called "Glass Cleaner" um, that is an unusual name. Ha. It is made by "Sprayway" White spay can with a Blue Cap. It is Ammonia Free. You can get it at any Hardware Store. I buy mine at Orchard in San Jose, Ca. Spray it on, use paper towel to clean and then another paper towel to finish off.  Cost less than $4.00.  have not checked Walmart.

Back
Top Bottom