Window film on windshield?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wijames2002

Has anyone put window film on the top of your windshield in a MH? I'm thinking about having film put on about a foot of my windshield since it's so big.

Check your state laws first, though. Some do not allow any tinting on the windshield, while others may have a limit on how far down it can go. And others may have none at all as long as its not too dark.

Check the edge of your windshield for the 'AS1' line markings. Windshield tinting cannot extend below that point under current federal regulations. How much tinting you can have above that point is subject to individual state laws.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Check your state laws first, though. Some do not allow any tinting on the windshield, while others may have a limit on how far down it can go. And others may have none at all as long as its not too dark.

I will 2nd that. Michigan (For example) only allows windshield tinting for so many inches from the top.. Without checking the PDF I'm not sure how many inches and the PDF's on a shut down computer just now.

I did our old MH windshield.  The first layer wasnt dark enough. (I couldnt get limo tint.) So we added a second layer right over
the top of the first layer....  We also did the upper side windows.
  It made a huge difference in the driving comfort.  No longer did we have the huge problems of driving into the sun
and not being able to see, and roasting in an oven as well...
  The curved windshield was tricky for my wife and I do apply the film and I will admit we got a couple blemished spots, but
it wasnt real notable..
  I dont know why they had to put in such a HUGE windshield in the first place. It easily could have been 18 to 24 inches shorter..
Bob

in Ca. any tint (other than factory tint) on the front side windows,  or the windshield is... illegal.

But in reality,  if it's not obstructing your view.. no cop will ever write you a fix-it ticket. (unless you pissed him off  ;D)

We had the whole windshield done and side windows for the drivers compartment done in a no30 shade,quite dark and never had a problem with police.Also done by a pro for 250.00 dollars,his first class a Installer said he would never do another for that price

In NH, we have a annual vehicle inspection program. I had very light film installed on my side front windows and also the top of the windshield in my truck while I was in FL 2 years ago. It's illegal in NH to have it on the side windows but my inspection station looks the other way because it is so light. On top of the windshield, the tint drops down about 1" below the legal limit but he also lets it go. If I get stopped, I have to remember to say I installed it after the inspection was done.  You need to check with the DMV in your state. Remember, because it may be legal in your state, doesn't make it legal like in my state in NH and you could receive a citation. 

Look into Air80 or Air90 for the front windshield, it is clear and blocks UV and heat. I had a quote of $200 to do the front of our Luxor and it I ever decide or able to drive it any distance again I will definitely get it done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom