Anyone recognize them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
Hope they weren't members of the forum.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/5fbc3130-86eb-34a3-abf0-dcb3a833cee7/california-pair-had-%242.3m.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=2_03

Rene T said:
Hope they weren't members of the forum.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/5fbc3130-86eb-34a3-abf0-dcb3a833cee7/california-pair-had-%242.3m.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=2_03
Swerving likely caused by weight distribution error.  ;)

When I opened that site I received a notice that my computer had a virus while reading it.

Lorna said:
When I opened that site I received a notice that my computer had a virus while reading it.
No web site can do a virus scan without your permission. It probably is a malware ad. You need to scan your computer for malware.

Based on my familiarity with law enforcement and the frequent arrests of drug runners passing through our county on I-80, I suspect the "swerving" was probably pretty minor and similar to the occasional drifts you or I might make when we drive our RVs (particularly when we were newbies).  What often happens is that the state troopers or local LE get a tip that a certain vehicle may be headed that way carrying a large quantity of contraband.  They then keep a lookout and tail the vehicle when it enters the jurisdiction.  When the vehicle commits any type of minor violation, such as crossing the center line, drifting onto the shoulder, following too close, etc., the cop has cause to make a traffic stop.  In the course of the stop, he will ask for consent to search the vehicle.  If consent is refused, a dog may be walked around the vehicle and then if it alerts, the officer has probable cause for a search. 

Just speculation, but most of the seemingly "random" traffic stops that result in large drug busts aren't as random as they seem.  Please note that I'm not saying I have a problem with this technique (some do) or trying to start a debate over drug policy; just trying to suggest that there may be more to the story.  Perhaps Marty (SargeW) or one of our other law enforcement personnel have some input.

We were camping in NY in the Catskills and we were out driving around in the truck looking for somewhere to sit outside and have a beer. I had just driven over a bridge that was having some work done. My wife asked me why I slowed down. I kind of cocked my head back and to the left and told her the speed limit dropped back always due to the construction. A few seconds later I noticed a cop behind us and he lit them up. He approached the truck and touched the driver's side rear tail light. He said he stopped me because I crossed the white line on the shoulder. Hmmm. Never had that happen in 50+ years of driving. My wife being ever helpful said "You should have seen him a little sooner when he was crossing the yellow line in the middle". Anyway, he told me to be careful and stay in the middle of the lane. Now, let's get back to him touching the tail light. My wife and I had just had a conversation about why cops do that because she read saw an article somewhere on the subject. I asked him why and he said although it did not apply to me since I was driving a pickup, but with a car they are taught to touch the tail light lens to leave their fingerprints in case someone is in the trunk and shoots him. They can prove that was the vehicle by the fingerprints. I don't no. Maybe some of you LE guys out there can comment on that.

jagnweiner said:
Based on my familiarity with law enforcement and the frequent arrests of drug runners passing through our county on I-80, I suspect the "swerving" was probably pretty minor and similar to the occasional drifts you or I might make when we drive our RVs (particularly when we were newbies).  What often happens is that the state troopers or local LE get a tip that a certain vehicle may be headed that way carrying a large quantity of contraband.  They then keep a lookout and tail the vehicle when it enters the jurisdiction.  When the vehicle commits any type of minor violation, such as crossing the center line, drifting onto the shoulder, following too close, etc., the cop has cause to make a traffic stop.  In the course of the stop, he will ask for consent to search the vehicle.  If consent is refused, a dog may be walked around the vehicle and then if it alerts, the officer has probable cause for a search. 

Just speculation, but most of the seemingly "random" traffic stops that result in large drug busts aren't as random as they seem.  Please note that I'm not saying I have a problem with this technique (some do) or trying to start a debate over drug policy; just trying to suggest that there may be more to the story.  Perhaps Marty (SargeW) or one of our other law enforcement personnel have some input.

Having worked in a town just a few miles north of I-80 just west of Des Moines Iowa, I agree that not all traffic stops on the interstate were just luck of the draw when they found large quantities of drugs or money.  The sheriffs department in Dallas county made regular busts, and once a year had an auction to sell off all the cars, equipment and what ever else they had confiscated.  One year they had a motorhome, and a semi tractor.

The real kicker came a couple of years later when a deputy stopped a car with California plates for some minor reason.  Because everything was legal with the driver and passenger, and the car, the deputy had no reason to ticket them for anything, but the deputy said that as he was ready to let them go, he smelled fresh paint, and determined that they must be doing something illegal, so the car was impounded, and torn apart, at which time they found several hundred thousand dollars worth of cash.  Both the driver and passenger said they knew nothing about the money, so they were allowed to go free, but the car and the money were confiscated by the sheriffs department.  The sheriff was also at the garage where the car the money was found.  The money was counted at the seen, but when the money was recounted at the sheriffs department, the total was $110,000 less. 

Eventually, the sheriff was convicted of taking the money, got off with no jail time, and retired to Arizona. 

My sense was that the sheriff's department was tipped off that this car was coming though on I-80.  It is too bad that the sheriff thought that some of the money should go to him, and not benefit the whole sheriff's department.

Unless it was wrapped really tight and they had candles burning you could smell that much weed from trailing behind them. I can smell a joint being burned three car lengths ahead on the interstate.

Oldgator73 said:
We were camping in NY in the Catskills and we were out driving around in the truck looking for somewhere to sit outside and have a beer. I had just driven over a bridge that was having some work done. My wife asked me why I slowed down. I kind of cocked my head back and to the left and told her the speed limit dropped back always due to the construction. A few seconds later I noticed a cop behind us and he lit them up. He approached the truck and touched the driver's side rear tail light. He said he stopped me because I crossed the white line on the shoulder. Hmmm. Never had that happen in 50+ years of driving. My wife being ever helpful said "You should have seen him a little sooner when he was crossing the yellow line in the middle". Anyway, he told me to be careful and stay in the middle of the lane. Now, let's get back to him touching the tail light. My wife and I had just had a conversation about why cops do that because she read saw an article somewhere on the subject. I asked him why and he said although it did not apply to me since I was driving a pickup, but with a car they are taught to touch the tail light lens to leave their fingerprints in case someone is in the trunk and shoots him. They can prove that was the vehicle by the fingerprints. I don't no. Maybe some of you LE guys out there can comment on that.

There was actually a case in Florida when I was living down there where a cop (a friend of mine, in fact) was shot after stopping a car. He had pulled her over for speeding, and had touched the back fender as he approached the driver's window. She shot him and drove away.
She had apparently been shoplifting in Palm Beach, and her car was full of stolen stuff.
She got stopped a few towns north and was apprehended after trying to evade. She apparently had tossed the gun somewhere along the way, and it was never found.
That fingerprint he left was the only link to him and her car. That and a GSR test were all they had to take her to court.

LarsMac said:
There was actually a case in Florida when I was living down there where a cop (a friend of mine, in fact) was shot after stopping a car. He had pulled her over for speeding, and had touched the back fender as he approached the driver's window. She shot him and drove away.
She had apparently been shoplifting in Palm Beach, and her car was full of stolen stuff.
She got stopped a few towns north and was apprehended after trying to evade. She apparently had tossed the gun somewhere along the way, and it was never found.
That fingerprint he left was the only link to him and her car. That and a GSR test were all they had to take her to court.

I'm glad they found her and hopefully she's still in prison. Why would anyone kill somebody over "stuff"?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom