Another dumb question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
William52 said:
Is there another Starter solenoid on an 2000 Fleetwood F53 other than the one on the starter itself? Or does it use a relay?

I don't have an answer for you but I just wanted to say that it's not a dumb question if you don't know the answer.

The Ford F53 460 has a solenoid mounted on the starter AND a starter relay mounted under the doghouse (engine cover) along the upper left side.  (From another Forum)  If you are getting the 'Click click', I'd bet it's the starter relay.  Might even be a simple loose cable.  Starter relays are cheap fixes, and easy to cross jump to troubleshoot.

Question:  Why are you thinking your starter relay is bad?  Symptoms?

On the V10 F53, you'll find a stater relay on the right side of the radiator support. As shown in the attached drawing. Should be able to see it looking in the passenger side wheelwell.

Attachments

• img_2634675_0_cbd5ef3c919f79be646c2f848974f8df[1].jpg
    img_2634675_0_cbd5ef3c919f79be646c2f848974f8df[1].jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 41
spencerpj said:
The Ford F53 460 has a solenoid mounted on the starter AND a starter relay mounted under the doghouse (engine cover) along the upper left side.  (From another Forum)  If you are getting the 'Click click', I'd bet it's the starter relay.  Might even be a simple loose cable.  Starter relays are cheap fixes, and easy to cross jump to troubleshoot.

Question:  Why are you thinking your starter relay is bad?  Symptoms?
Yes clicks I think the contacts are bad? Starts sometimes.

William52 said:
Yes clicks I think the contacts are bad? Starts sometimes.

Checking the solenoid is really easy.  All you need to do is, have key in ON position (like it's running) and jump across the two main terminals on the solenoid.  See link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJL0DD8gJbY

However, clicks could be, bad connection, weak battery, bad cell in battery, etc. 

I would start by taking a strong wiggle to all main battery connections.  If any are loose, or you see corrosion, clean and tighten.  If connections look good, and solenoid checks fine, I'd then either have battery checked, or see if a jump start works.  If Jump start works, have battery checked / replaced.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom