Ford F150'Eco Boost Overheating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting.  I wonder what gear the computer selected when he is going about 75mph at 2600RPM.  I believe he said the transmission is a 10 speed.

Not surprised at the 239 degree temp on level ground with the speed & RPM shown. 

Didn't watch the rest of the video. 

I think he said the highest gear the truck got to was 8. I am thinking of purchasing an F 150 Eco Boost so this was of some interest to me. Other videos have not mentioned overheating.

Not really surprising. Frontal area is probably the largest factor here, given the almost 75 mph speed. That little EcoBoost is actually doing quite well under those circumstances.

I suppose we could also talk about the wisdom of pulling a trailer at 75mph  and focusing his phone camera on the dash board, but there really isn't much to say...  :eek:

75 mph,  pulling a trailer,  up hill ....

and he doesn't understand why it's getting hot ?    ::)

That's a pretty tough climb north of Phoenix on I-17.  I believe there are signs saying "Turn off AC to avoid over heating". I generally slow down to 50-55 going through that section.  Of course, I only drive at 60 MPH on flat land too.

Lowell said:
That's a pretty tough climb north of Phoenix on I-17.  I believe there are signs saying "Turn off AC to avoid over heating". I generally slow down to 50-55 going through that section.  Of course, I only drive at 60 MPH on flat land too.

In the video he says both the turbos and the AC are automatically shut off when the temp gets to a certain point.

Oldgator73 said:
In the video he says both the turbos and the AC are automatically shut off when the temp gets to a certain point.

I missed the AC getting turning off. I really should of said he needs to slow down a bit. But that's not to say he doesn't have some high temperature issues with his truck.

On top of all everything ...that truck and trailer combo has to be the worst possible aerodynamic towing setup.  It's gotta be like trying to pull a 5 thousand pound 8' x 8' wall up an Arizona hill.. at 75 mph.  (with little a 3.5 liter engine)

I say good job little Ford  :))  that truck did't get hot...... it got 'mad' at the guy driving it.

I tow my 2015 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition (30') with a 2015 F150 with Ecoboost.  I've towed about 8k miles with it, from Phoenix to New England and all over the southeast and have had only one issue with overheating.  I was approaching the Eisenhower Tunnel from the west in light traffic and had the engine - which normally tows the Coachmen effortlessly - derate due to temp.  I was going slightly in excess of the posted speed limit, which may have been a contributing factor.  Other than that I've not had a problem.

My only bitch with the truck is the range when towing, even with the extended range tank, which is likely endemic to any gas engine. My next truck will be a diesel for sure....

not surprised with such a small overstressed  engine, it's just not made for towing duty cycle.

I made a serious mistake and traded in my big tundra for an ecofail  f150, was a bad decision both in towing experience and fuel economy, or rather the lack of it.. i was pulling 7000lb with my previous trailer and the ford is worse than the tundra
and just not a comfortable tow. i traded the ford for a ram 2500 with the big Cummins diesel. this beast is built to tow day and night with no effort at all.. so it's a horses for courses thing..  in my opinion the ford is a street princess sport truck, not well suited for towing.

Back
Top Bottom