Government shutdown: Are BLM Land Boondockers kicked out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AStravelers

If there is a government shutdown, are BLM Land Boondockers kicked out?

There are hundreds, if not thousands of RV'ers boondocking on LTVA (Long Term Visitor Areas) in southeastern AZ & southern CA.  If the government shuts down will they kick them out????

I know, in the past, they have kicked out everyone from the National Parks.  I believe they have stopped people from driving through the parks on state and US highways that people use to access places outside the parks.

With both the Shutdown, and Quartsite coming up at about the same time... .. That is a VERY important question.. Wish I knew the answer.. (Looks like I will and soon).

Edit: Removed inflamatory comments.

I asked the same question under the rally topic, but no response there either. I figure BLM can?t shut the desert, but they could close the sanitary dump and freshwater refill spots. No staffing means those could go south without anyone watching them and cleaning things. Does anyone remember what happened in 2013?

I hope there is no shutdown. But if there is I hope all the people who are unable to camp because of this are the same people that voted for the person responsible for the shutdown.

isn't there is a threat of a shut down every year under every president  ?...

Then they just pass a budget and raise the national debt.  (the same national debt that doubled under our last President. )

The unofficial word, (straight from the source), is that they are not sure but they are confident that you will not be run off.

They do not have the manpower for one thing.

The worst might be that they would shut down the dump site but not the water.

They told me that the dump site at Rose RV on Kuhn street is also easier to get in and out of if it is needed.

Whether or not you may be "kicked out" depends on if someone (Pres) wants to make a political statement. 

They might come around before the witching hour and tell you that you must leave, but afterwards they would not have the staff to do it. Except maybe for a BLM LEO-type, who would probably be considered an essential employee. I think the answer that Hueypilot got is as good as you are gonna get until & if the time comes.

Drifterrider said:
Whether or not you may be "kicked out" depends on if someone (Pres) wants to make a political statement.

Not to turn this into a political debate, but the push for a shutdown is coming from the other side of the aisle.

SeilerBird said:
But if there is I hope all the people who are unable to camp because of this are the same people that voted for the person responsible for the shutdown.

HappyWanderer said:
Not to turn this into a political debate, but the push for a shutdown is coming from the other side of the aisle.

It is political, but it's certainly not partisan.

There were shutdowns under Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George Bush, Clinton and Obama. IMHO, they are nothing but political ploys by a dysfunctional Washington, removing the services that are most noticeable to the man on the street so as to pressure whatever "side" seems to be in the way at the moment. And shutdowns don't save money, they cost money, which just adds to the debt as TonyDtorch noted.

This time it will be over DACA.

The dems want those 800k votes.

The LTVAs only have a handful of BLM employees managing them, the vast majority of the work during the winter season (including manning the entry stations) is done by volunteers.

They should have no problem continuing to monitor the operation of the dump stations and water spigots.

Whether the trash dumpsters are emptied during a shutdown depends on whether the trash company continues to be paid.  Same for restocking TP in the porta-potties.

Back in the mid 80's my father,brother and I went camping to Death Valley NP. It was Columbus Weekend. Found a great spot and set up camp. Dad and I just cracked open a cold beer and along came a park ranger...yep he told us the park was closed due to the idiots in Washington. We headed up to Beaty Nv and got some rooms for the weekend. Had fun but it wasn't a camping trip....

HappyWanderer said:

It doesn't really matter.  Only the president can order the closure of "the great outside".  Remember when barricades were erected around monuments in D.C.?  Skyline Drive (a federal road) was closed?  Only the executive can make that happen.

Man, this is really bad, all the OP wanted to know was would he have to leave an LTVA/BLM land if the govt. has a shutdown. If you guys want to get political and lay blame on "the other" party, do it somewhere else. There are plenty of other places on the web for that kind of thing. Personally, I hear enough on the TV and radio to get my of this crap, and I really don't need to read it here. I know- some smart alec will say "you don't have to click on the topic", but that's not the point.

Folks, the OP started with a legitimate, non-partisan question. Others, including myself, have added non-partisan posts addressing the issue of shutdowns in general. (History has shown, as I posted, that shutdowns occur when either party is in office, so comments about who you support or whose 'fault' it is are moot in general.) Some, who very well know the rules here, couldn't resist trying make it partisan debate. Let's keep it on topic, or at least non-partisan, or this topic dealing with an issue affecting RVers of all political persuasions, will have to be locked.

I would like to see all of the partisan posts removed, that will make it easier for those who would make partisan posts to be not quite so tempted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom