Toilet Pedal Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AUSSIEBORN

I had a lot of great advice from here regarding how to lubricate the toilet seal as it seemed ours was leaking. Now, after a while of trying that, I now think the real issue is the flushing pedal itself. When it's released sometimes it will close as it should, at other times not so much. Is there a way of adjusting the pedal to overcome this issue?

Once again, you guys are fantastic at coming to the rescue with great advice.  Thanks.

Good luck with that. i bought this 5er last March and the toilet was not flushing properly. It is a Dometic 610 ceramic with a pedal flush so I ordered a new one and my mechanic installed it. After about six months it started flushing weirdly and then it eventually stopped flushing. The valve froze in the open position. I called my mechanic since I could not figure a way to adjust it. He took it apart and the valve was broken. We decided it would be pointless to replace the valve figuring it would just break again. So we decided to replace the toilet with a residential model since i am permanently parked. I should have done that in the first place.

AUSSIEBORN said:
I had a lot of great advice from here regarding how to lubricate the toilet seal as it seemed ours was leaking. Now, after a while of trying that, I now think the real issue is the flushing pedal itself. When it's released sometimes it will close as it should, at other times not so much. Is there a way of adjusting the pedal to overcome this issue?

Once again, you guys are fantastic at coming to the rescue with great advice.  Thanks.

I don't recall seeing the other thread so I don't know your back story here....
I remember back when I was having a bit of trouble with a leaky toilet ball, some advised to let the pedal snap closed, rather than easing it closed with your foot.  I don't know if I'd make a habit of that, for fear it might end up broken like SeilerBird's..... but I'd guess that once or twice could serve to re-seat things a bit.

Ultimately, I found that soaking some CLR in the bowl a couple times did the trick and there was no need to wrestle in the new seal that I had ordered.  Mine started leaking after one long term storage, where I let it sit long enough to dry out....  Now I try to remember to leave a good bit of water in the bowl....and when storing a bit longer term I'll make a point to pour in a bit of the blue tank stuff into the bowl.  It does seem to leave a slight stain but it seems to not evaporate quite as fast..... I'm sure a bit of oil, or perhaps other products would work even better....but I had the blue stuff handy and it seemed to work without adding oily residue to my list of problems.

Thanks for the feedback, mate. I've been using an RV toilet/seal lubricant to soften the toilet seal after a long term storage with minimal results. It sounds as if I need to be patient and keep up with the treatment until the problem is fixed.

I tried that thetford lubricant....long time, a couple of bottles....no luck.  I have no idea what your issue is....but it was full strength CLR that fixed my issue.

Thanks. We'll give CLR a try. The issue is that after each use the valve doesn't close completely and we need to use our foot to raise the pedal slightly, but enough to close the valve tight.

Oh, could be some buildup or something restricting it....I suppose...but problem was something different than that...

but based on the pedal just not coming up....have you tried letting the pedal snap up a few times to re-seat things?

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try your suggestion to work the pedal a few times and I'll also get some CLR for any deposits that may have been built up.

I had same issue this summer.  I used an allen wrench and cleaned all around the lip where it seals.  Build up of paper residue seemed to be the problem.  Solved the problem for me.

Back
Top Bottom