EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Washington State to Arizona  (Read 835 times)

Venturi49

Washington State to Arizona
« on: January 18, 2018, 11:33:19 AM »
So we are driving from Wash State to the Phoenix area in a few weeks and being winter time was wondering which route would be the best. I5 down through California or 93 through Nevada. Google maps say only about an hour difference. Tia

Dwight and Liz

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
Re: Washington State to Arizona
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 11:42:44 AM »
At this time of year the weather should determine the route you take. There could be snow on either route.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 01:45:45 PM »
Welcome to The RV Forum!

I-5 is a major Interstate artery.  The major snow areas are the Siskiyou Mountains in southern Oregon/Northern California (including Siskiyou Pass) and maybe the Tehachapi Mountains in Southern CA.  The rest of the way through California it's close to sea level and snow free.

The heavy traffic alone on I-5 helps keep the roadway clear.  If it does need closure due to an active snowstorm it's usually only for a day or less.

US 93 is a more lightly traveled highway, and it's at a higher elevation than most of I-5.

Note that Oregon chain law requires you to carry chains for the rear axle of your tow vehicle and one trailer axle in snow areas.  This applies to both I-5 and US 93.

Like Tom said, let the weather determine which way you go.  In any event, don't be afraid to stop for a day or two if needed until the conditions improve.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:53:10 PM by Lou Schneider »

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 08:23:51 PM »
Where are you in Washington? If in Spokane I-5 is not very practical.

johnaye

• ---
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 08:49:46 PM »
Assuming you are using I 5, your choice of route will depend on the day of the week you hit LA.  If you hit LA on the weekend, then I5 to I 210 to HW 57 to I 10 to Phoenix is a great route.  If you hit LA on a week day, I would go I 5 to CA 58 through Bakersfield and Mohave to Barstow.  Then I40 to Flagstaff to I17 to Phoenix, or if the weather is bad HW 95 from Needles to I 10 to Phoenix.  Going through Sacramento at rush hour is going  be a pain, but doable.  Going through LA or Bakersfield is about the same driving time unless you hit rush hour in LA.  In that case, LA is much slower.  BYW, the weather in Phoenix is great right now.
John and Becky
2004 Alfa See Ya DP
2008 Honda CRV

Experience comes from mistakes.  I have a lot of experience

Hosted by Over The Network