Having issues with my thermostat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I have a Dometic Analog Thermostat. Model # 3107612-008.  When I did a search on line for a replacement, it comes up with model #3106995.032. It's looks identical to this one and looks just like mine.
https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-3106995-032-Analog-Thermostat-Furnace/dp/B00A2TDJ4I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516305351&sr=8-1&keywords=dometic+3106995.032+heat%2Fcool+analog+thermostat

What's happening with mine is when I position the furnace/cool switch for furnace and turn the lever to a temperature higher than ambient temperature, nothing happens. If I take the furnace/cool switch and cycle it a few times, the furnace starts and will run the rest of the night with no problems. If I let it sit for a couple of hours, it won't start and I need to cycle the switch all over again. I'm thinking that the contacts in the switch are dirty or corroded.
Can anyone tell me if this new thermostat will work as a replacement?

Thanks Tom. The way the switch is made, I don't think it will get in there. I'll keep that in mind though.

Have you considered upgrading to a modern Hunter or Honeywell digital thermostat, I upgraded my Analog Dometiic thermostat last year and could not be happier with it. 

Here are a couple of youtube videos to give you reference, note the color code on your wires may differ from their examples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFmyzGhHIgw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CPtV_iX9GQ

I used one from the Honeywell Focus Pro 5000 family with blue backlight, I also added a separate hi/low speed toggle switch on the left side of the thermostat to keep original functionality, though mine is the heat pump model. See photo, note toggle switch on left side, did have to remove a couple of plastic ribs on the thermostat and drill a hole in the plastic to get the toggle switch to fit, toggle switch was bought on ebay with short lead wires per-soldered for about $2 for 3 switches, it was similar to the one shown in the second video, just a bit more compact.

p.s. my reason for upgrading with the insane 7 degree temperature swing on the original Dometic analog thermostat, I could cycle from freezing to burning up over and over each night while in bed.

Attachments

• honeywell-thermostat.jpg
    honeywell-thermostat.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 28
Sounds like a defective T-Stat ... Above Recomendations are good.

For my FUrnace only. I went to I think True Value hardware and spent 20 bucks. (they make a heat cool version as well) solid old fashion bi-metal spring job with a non-mercury switch.. Works great, Working as I type (it is cold out when I burn Propane).

Yesterday, I cycled the switch several time just to see if cycling would clean the contacts.  Well last night, I had to get up at 4 AM and it was 58 in the trailer. I cycled the switch to the heat/furnace mode and it started right up.  :)) :))  Knock on wood. I'm going to continue using it and see if it's fixed. Although the next week it's suppose to be warm so I won't be using the furnace. That may be good to let it sit for a long time then try it. Thanks everyone.

I had the same exact t-stat in my MH that you have, 3107612-008, and bought the same exact model you are referring to at Amazon, 3106995.03, and yes, it does work.
If I'm not mistaken, I read where the new model number is a direct replacement for the old.

At any rate, yes, it will work.

dauninge said:
I had the same exact t-stat in my MH that you have, 3107612-008, and bought the same exact model you are referring to at Amazon, 3106995.03, and yes, it does work.
If I'm not mistaken, I read where the new model number is a direct replacement for the old.

At any rate, yes, it will work.

Thanks Dawn. I really appreciate that. I had read a couple of reviews that said it would not work but then there were many that said it did work. I thought it would work but you just reaffirmed what I was thinking. Thanks again. If mine should fail again, I will definitely replace it.

When one of our analog stats failed, I replaced both of them with Honeywell digital programmable stats. Much more even heat, and the automatic bed time set backs save on heating LP and A/C electricity. I paid about $20 each for ours at Home Depot and added a hi/lo fan mini-toggle switch on the side.

Attachments

• 2015-08-16 10.46.53.jpg
    2015-08-16 10.46.53.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 18
wackymac said:
I have a Honeywell RTHL3550 non-programmable t-stat.

Did you have to change the controller at the AC? Or was it just plug and play. I thought I had asked a mobile tech once about changing to digital and he said something about having to change out the control board as well.

NY_Dutch said:
When one of our analog stats failed, I replaced both of them with Honeywell digital programmable stats. Much more even heat, and the automatic bed time set backs save on heating LP and A/C electricity. I paid about $20 each for ours at Home Depot and added a hi/lo fan mini-toggle switch on the side.

Hit the wrong button. Dutch is who my question was directed at. :)

dauninge said:
Did you have to change the controller at the AC? Or was it just plug and play. I thought I had asked a mobile tech once about changing to digital and he said something about having to change out the control board as well.

On my setup, just a wire color to terminal conversion was needed for the Honeywell installation. No other changes except the simple mod to add the fan speed switch.

Attachments

• honeywell-wiring.jpg
    honeywell-wiring.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 36
dauninge said:

If you currently have the Dometic / Duo-Therm with the "analog controller" as shown in the amazon link in the first post in this thread then it is a straight forward wiring swap, with the optional addition of a hi/low fan speed switch.  If you have most other Dometic thermostat, such as the ones with buttons instead of switches then this modification will not work.

I think I would have to change out the controller/control box as well. It is an analog control box. Looks like 95.00 for a digital controller. Not too bad, but I don't really have a problem yet with my analog system.

no, I didn't have to change any control board.  I have a Coleman AC with no heat pump and a Suburban furnace.  The t-stat operates on two AA batteries. 

Just to re-iterate a modern Hunter or some models of Honeywell thermostat can work as a direct replacement for the Dometic / Duo-Therm "Analog" thermostat as shown in the link in the first post.  There is no need to change out the control board in the air conditioner, the time the control board must be changed out is if you want to use a newer Dometic branded digital thermostat.

Yes, after further research, I found out that I do not need to replace the control board to install a digital t-stat.

I just didn't want to hijack Rene's post any further. :)

Caution to people who believe they can just go out and buy a digital t-stat to replace an analog.  Depending on the year of your Dometic it might not work.  Dometic used a 7.5v DC signal to control the T-stat in some units.  Most commercial home digital T-stats use a different voltage.  You can upgrade these units to digital but you also have to upgrade the control box at the AC unit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom