Is 98,000 just too much on a 2004 DP?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Curtiswilliams

Hi!

We want an older model so we can renovate and came across a really nice looking 2004 39? Fleetwood Bounder. We are about to pay for an inspection but I?m just wondering if my logic is sound. I figured that diesels need to be run, so for a 2004 that mileage seems about right if it?s been used consistently. I found an identical one for 5k more with only 50,900 but with the age it seems like that?s very few miles and could be a problem engine wise.

Am I way off on this? Am I risking other major repairs with that mileage that are typical but expensive enough to stay away?

Thanks guys, I?m totally knew to RV stuff and have had a tough time researching this particular topic.

For perspective purposes. I have a 2007 FW Bounder 38N, C7 300 hp Cat engine. It had 13,000 miles on it 2 years ago when I bought it. I gave 78K for it. Lots of people think it's new, they can't believe it's an '07.

I bought a 2004 DP in 2009 with 50K.  Sold it in 2012 with 97K.  No problems. I'm sure that it is still running well for the new owner.  It had a 250 350 hp Cummins 8.3L engine.

I have 2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38N with just over 33K miles. I think condition is more important than miles. Best of luck!

If it's in good shape, then it should do just fine. There may be some maintenance needed over time, but that's true, to some degree, even with a new one.

Floor plan and condition are the two big factors.

My CAT C-12 had 55,000 miles when I bought my MH 8 years ago and has 109k on it now.  It runs better now than it did when I bought it.  Engines of that size are designed for ~750k miles before in-frame re-build.  Even the smaller block diesels should deliver >250k miles without issue.

My only thought on the issue is how it may effect resale value down the road, and how many miles you plan to put on the coach.  I have read that the average coach sees about 6,000 miles per year, which means the average 10 year old coach should have about 60,000 miles on it, and the average 15 year old coach should have 90,000.  This lines up fairly well with what I was seeing when I was shopping for my current gas coach, which had 74,000 miles on it at 14 years of age, and which I added right at 7,000 to in my first year of ownership.

If you don't expect to add more than an average number of miles per year to the coach, then plan on selling it in 3-5 years, it may benefit you to buy a lower mileage coach, so as to not be over some psychologically significant mileage like 100,000 when you go to sell it.

Don't forget those 98,000 miles aren't just on the engine. There is no doubt that I'D pay the extra 5 grand for a coach with half the miles. The condition of the lower mileage coach should also reflect the lower mileage.

Assuming both coaches have had decent care & maintenance, I would not think mileage would be a factor for either one.  [And if not well-maintained, you don't want either of them.]  However, at 98k miles I would expect some engine-related components to be nearing end of life, e.g. alternator, water pump, a/c compressor, etc. Other components may be nearing their end-of-life simply due to age, i.e. hoses, belts, flexible rubber seals, etc., but that will be the same for either 2004 vintage coach.

In my opinion there is no reason to suspect the lower mileage coach has more potential problems because of limited use. The caution with regard to low mileage rigs is merely that you should NOT assume everything is fine simply because the mileage is low. You should give both rigs equal attention to condition and maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom