Washing Your RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Patrickh60 said:
Ken went on to make a number of other comments while laughing uproariously. 

While he's still laughing, ask him why ProtectaAll doesn't do as good a job or last as long in these conditions on gel coated fiberglass as a heavy carnuba paste wax.

If, for example, gel coated fiberglass has a layer of heavy carnuba paste wax covered by a layer of dust, how can the sun do any damage or contribute to oxidation? Facts and data would be more helpful than laughing.

Because my wife is playing grandma in Honolulu this week I decided to do a major cleanup on the m/h for the summer.

After taking Pat up on his trial offer for Protect All I purchased more and did both of our cars. The application was very easy on the fairly new painted surfaces that do not require a lot of work.

Then attacked the fiberglass gel/stripes of the Tradewinds. After washing the coach Protect All results were very poor, did nothing to improve water spots on gel-coat. I then applied marine color restorer/wax with an oscillating buffer. Coach now looks new again.

I then applied Protect All to certain areas of coach with no discernible difference in the finish compared to the areas that have just the color restorer/wax application.

I will leave the coach partially Protect All covered to see if there is a benefit to the finish over time.

At this point I am further proof of Tom's corollary that sweat=results. :-\

Jeff:

I'd be most interested if you had a chance to test Dry Wash n Guard or whatever it is called.  A lot of members here use it and it is supposed to be relatively sweatless.  I have a sample but am waiting for delivery of my new coach.

As an aside, next time I order a new coach (and I hope that is never) I will add a month to whatever delivery date they give me.

I'll be interested in reading your results down the road Jeff.

ask him why ProtectaAll doesn't do as good a job or last as long in these conditions on gel coated fiberglass as a heavy carnuba paste wax.

Two different products with two different ideas in mind.? "Heavy carnauba paste wax" is just that and nothing else.? It is for the fiberglass or painted surfaces only.? Even with a machine, it takes quite a while to apply.? Then you have to roll out your cart of supplies for all the other materials your coach is made of.?

Protect All "All Surface Care" was developed with a different purpose in mind.? Let's make the job of waxing that coach quicker & easier by supplying a product that can safely & effectively be used on every surface on the coach.? To be a multi-surface product, and to be a quick & easy application, the layer of wax has to be thin.? So there may be a trade off in the life of the wax on the coach vs. the frequency of application.? I've heard from plenty of people that their Protect All didn't last as long as Brand X, but every one of those folks said they didn't mind that because the ease of application made it worthwhile.

There!? Now you've done it!? I'm spouting ad speak!? Honestly, that was not my intent in starting this thread.

gel coated fiberglass has a layer of heavy carnuba paste wax covered by a layer of dust, how can the sun do any damage or contribute to oxidation? Facts and data would be more helpful than laughing.

I am told that sunlight will get through that layer of dust.? Moisture acts on it and moves it around.? Just nightly dew gradually gives you black streaks.? And that wax is not permanent.? Heat & moisture degrade it over time, even through the dust.

I think that I solemnly promise never to start a thread again.<G>

Protect All results were very poor, did nothing to improve water spots on gel-coat. I then applied marine color restorer/wax with an oscillating buffer. Coach now looks new again.

Of course!? Forgive me but I've talked with a lot of people lately.? You may have been one.? I hope I did get the chance to tell you that Protect All is made to go on a good presentable surface.? IT WILL NOT remove oxidation or do the heavy cleaning that abrasive products and strong cleaning products are designed to do.

I then applied Protect All to certain areas of coach with no discernible difference in the finish compared to the areas that have just the color restorer/wax application.

Again, of course not!? You just repaired the surface, bringing it back to a like-new condition.

will leave the coach partially Protect All covered to see if there is a benefit to the finish over time.

I'm a redhead.? Frequent applications of sunscreen are required even just sitting here in my office.? Your coaches are more tolerant but it's a similar idea.? One coating of a heavy wax will last half- to most of a year.? Towards the end of that period, the protection is decreasing.? Applying Protect all 3-4 times in the same time period keeps your protection level higher.

If I ever start a thread again, would one of you guys just email me at [email protected] with the subject line "Washing Your RV"?

Patrickh60 said:
I think that I solemnly promise never to start a thread again.

LOL Pat, if you kept that promise we wouldn't have any fun. You and ProtectAll have a good following of supprters here, and many of us wish you'd visit more often.

As I said, I was just playing devil's advocate and wanting to pose an alternative perspective for discussion. There's no questionning the ease of application of ProtectAll.

You have to realize that I'm speaking from two perspectives. My coach has full body paint, which does not require carnuba paste and a fiberglass roof, which may or may not. My boat is fiberglass/gel coat which in my experience requires nothing less than carnuba paste. FWIW the October issue of Powerboat Reports reported the results of extensive testing of 26 different waxes & polishes. Clearly, carnuba paste came out ahead of the pack, with the liquid waxes coming in last.

BTW part of your response was obviously meant for someone else because it addressed issues I didn't raise. Best to keep them separate to avoid confusion. I'll confuse the thread enough on my own.

Tom,

I did mix replies in my last post.? I was also addressing some issues Jeff / Washington brought up.? Sorry about that.

My coach has full body paint, which does not require carnuba paste

WHAT?! What?...What?...? Is this new information?? Since when doesn't paint require wax?

Clearly, carnuba paste came out ahead of the pack

Of course!? Wouldn't expect anything else.? However, if I were to wax the old Winnebago out back here, no way I'm picking up a can of paste wax.? :D

Patrickh60 said:
Is this new information?  Since when doesn't paint require wax?

I'm really surprised at that reaction Pat, since I was merely singing your tune. I was saying that I don't need to use heavy paste wax on the full body paint of our coach. I wasn't saying it doesn't need any protection. In fact, I use a liquid wax, which is what you've been telling us for years we should use. Have you changed your mind about the easy-on virtues of liquid waxes  ???

OK, is there or is there not a Moab prize for the dirtiest rig?  Or did I just get my hopes up in vain that there's finally a competition that meets my skill set? 

--pat

Now I am getting really confused.

Aren't there some experienced folks here that were saying last month that full body paint does NOT need wax?  Just an occasionally washing?

I need to get clear on this matter.

Depends on what you mean by "wax" Smoky. Clearly, full body paint needs something to protect it from the damaging effects of the sun, but nothing like an unpainted fiberglass/gel coat finish. I don't use heavy paste wax on the coach, and mainly rely on the small amount of wax in ZipDee car wash. Once or twice a year I might apply a liquid wax such as Turtle Wax. Many folks use ProtectAll once or twice a year.

I'll let the DriWash contingent explain how their coaches receive protection because I've never used it.

Maybe it was the DriWash contingent?  Does that have wax in it?

BTW I see a message that says, "there are people in the chat room" but when I go there I seem to be the only one in the chat room.

Smoky said:
Maybe it was the DriWash contingent? Does that have wax in it?

As I said repeatedly, I've never used it, so I wouldn't know.

I see a message that says, "there are people in the chat room"

Where do you see that message? If it's in "Who's online", that information can be up to 15 minutes old. New folks see the Chat button and click on it thinking someone is waiting there 24/7 for them to show up. When they don't see anyone they leave the room &/or the forum, but that data continues to show for another 15 mins.

Smoky said:
Maybe it was the DriWash contingent?? Does that have wax in it?

We have never used anything but DriWash n Guard on our American Eagle since we got it in August 1998.  When you see it  I think your questions regarding care of the exterior surface will be answered.

Ron:

I still have the sample you sent me.  Now might be the time to test it out.

Does it have any wax in it?  Just curious about how it goes about its business protecting the coach.

It has what they call polymers that provide protection.  Try cleaning the side of hood on the toad that is in front of you with it and just lean the side in front of the Adrmial with soap and water.  See the difference.  She will most likely point it out to you. ;D

Ron said:
It has what they call polymers that provide protection.

Ron, that's the bit I didn't know (or couldn't remember). Do the polymers stay on the surface after applixation to act as a protectant?

Tom said:
Ron, that's the bit I didn't know (or couldn't remember). Do the polymers stay on the surface after applixation to act as a protectant?

That is my understanding Tom.  Using our coach as an example it is obvious that it works.

Thanks Ron. Something obviously works. Maybe one of chemistry majors will jump in and explain it.

Back
Top Bottom