7 year rule on tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpena Jeff

Does this apply to passenger car tires as well? My 90 year old MIL has a 2009 Cadillac with only 21K miles and original tires. I think I need to replace them.
Thoughts please.
Thx, Jeff

Good question.  In my humble opinion that depends mostly on the brand of the tires.  If they're Michelins you may be on borrowed time.  Check for radial cracking on the sidewalls.  If you find any compare it to the chart Michelin has on their website for 'acceptable sidewall cracking'.

I've driven on 10 year old Bridgestones and scrapped 5 year old Michelins.

What would happen if she was driving when one of the tires went?

It is cheap insurance. Look at the date codes, when I looked at the date codes on my 2008 Truck last year they were 11 years old. They were replaced. :))
Bill

Alpena Jeff said:
Does this apply to passenger car tires as well? My 90 year old MIL has a 2009 Cadillac with only 21K miles and original tires. I think I need to replace them.
Thoughts please.
Thx, Jeff

If all she is doing is driving around town, going to the market or the doctor's office, probably no big deal. But if she's planning a cross country trip in that car, or driving down the expressway at high speeds, you may want to get them replaced. Whatever plans are, it wouldn't hurt to have that visual inspection for dry rot, and such.

We live 4 hours away but are with her now for the weekend. I had no idea they were originals. My FIL always took care of that stuff but we lost him last year. I'm taking it in tomorrow to get them replaced.
It's my job now and I need to sleep at night!
Thanks for helping.
Jeff

Passenger car tires, unlike RV tires, are usually running at well below their maximum weight ratings. I've towed abandoned cars out of fields with 30 year old tires on them that were still inflated and held up well going down the road at 50-60 mph. That said, I would still not want tires older than 10 years max on a car...

grashley said:
Yes, it does.  It is rarely an issue with car tires, which usually wear out before they age out.

"Usually"
I have a classic car that I have put only about 13,000 miles on in 18 years. I've owned the car for 31 years
I put on new tires in 1999.
I am aware that tires age, but I rarely drive the car at highway speeds,so was not too concerned about a blowout.
The car has always been parked indoors,so were not too much affected by weather.

One day last year I had a flat, and took it to the tire shop for repair. The guy came out and said "you gotta see this".
He took me back to the water tank and showed me where the tire was leaking all the way around the sidewalls.
Replaced all four!
Figured 18 years was good enough for a set of tires. :)

My 77 Trans Am mostly sits in the garage, the tires on it are 19 years old. They still look like new with only a couple thousand miles on them. My son wants to drive it a bit this summer, but I told him the tires have to be replaced first. I left the car to him in my will, but I'm not dead yet. Going to give it to him this summer anyways. I bought a Corvette convertible in 2011 and haven't driven the TA since. My late wife and I left the church in this car when we were married in 1981, and I've owned it since the spring of 1980. She liked to go driving in the Vette with the top down. I've only driven it a couple time since she passed. Maybe I'll get it out more this summer.

Understand and appreciate all comments, however, this is my 90 year old mother in law. Like I said earlier, I need to sleep at night. She is the last of our elders and I will protect her with my life!
$800 is a small price to pay for my piece of mind and her safety.
This next comment has nothing to do with RVing, politics or anything else related to this forum.
We drove 4 hours on Thursday to come downstate Michigan. I took care of MILs tires, then went to see my younger brother who is storing my Coach. He has a 2017 Fleetwood Discovery of his own. We bonded the day away playing with our Newmar, installing various items I had purchased and getting reaquanted with this new to us coach. Judy and I will be heading south in less than 5 weeks for our maiden voyage. We are both excited and nervous with this adventure.
That said, both of my brothers kids, spouses and their little ones came over to see their uncle Jeff.i had no idea this was going to happen. We enjoyed margarities, tacos, and bonding to the point nobody drove home. It turned into a massive pajama party. I haven't had that much fun in some time. Woke up this morning with a sore head and wonderful breakfast then came back to MILs house, resting comfortably on the couch waiting for football.
Why am I sharing all this? I thank God for my parents passed, my current family and the future of our next generation regardless of the **** happening in DC. Last night gave me the fix I needed to remain positive in life, love and faith. I could die today and honestly say....I was blessed!
Enjoy the day, live life, love life!
Jeff

Wow. Just got a shower, took some aspirin and read my last post. I musta had a good time last night. I normally don't "dump" like that. Oh well, still stands.

Jeff, as you said, and you recognized, the LORD has given you a great blessing and a reminder if His capabilities!  Thanks for sharing, not venting.

Alpena Jeff said:
This next comment has nothing to do with RVing, politics or anything else related to this forum.

Why am I sharing all this? I thank God for my parents passed, my current family and the future of our next generation regardless of the **** happening in DC.
Yes, why are you sharing this? It is about as political as it gets. Anytime someone says this is not political, it is political. Saying it is not political does not justify making a political statement. Leave politics out of these discussions please.

I appreciate you sharing some good times.  As far as folks complaining about you being political, this is a General Discussion board and you didn't take sides on an issue.  We can't all keep ours heads firmly implanted in the sand.

I agree with you Jeff. Family and friends are so much more important that the other ?noise? that happens in life, just one reason I like RV?ing and involving people close to me in my life. Appreciated your post.

lynnmor said:
I appreciate you sharing some good times.  As far as folks complaining about you being political, this is a General Discussion board and you didn't take sides on an issue.  We can't all keep ours heads firmly implanted in the sand.
Taking sides is not the point. Discussing politics is not permitted on this forum. Every time someone brings up politics the thread quickly deteriorates into a quagmire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom