Hydrualics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

albertm1960

Both my slideout and front legs hydraulics aren't working all of a sudden, unit is winterized but still hooked up to city electric. . I was just checking. Now we just went through this freeze, could that have effected it it? Also, does battery have anything to do with how they work, it may be dead, but I thought the city hookup is all you need. Thanks for any ideas??

The battery has a lot to do with the slides... Often the converter is not nearly strong enough to run the hydraulic punp so the batteries assist and if that is the case a dead battery will cause it to not work

And of course if you are not hooked to shore power it is ALL up to the batteries,

John is exactly right.  When I initially got my camper home, my power cord was too short.  I got disconnected okay, but DW wanted it moved.  The weak battery would not pull in slides or lift the landing gear.  When I connected a battery charger with a 110V cord, the gear moved v e r y  s l o w l y.  Left overnight, the battery accepted a decent charge, and the landing gear and slides moved normally.

I have a warning posted above my slide out switches that says "Battery must be connected to operate the slides". So if I had a dead battery, they would not operate.

The slide motor is typically wired more-or-less direct to the batteries, so the shore power+converter charger needs to work through the battery bank to provide power. How are the batteries "dead" if the rig is on shore power?  If they are so bad the charger cannot get the battery voltage up, that will reduce the power available to the slide motor circuit.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The slide motor is typically wired more-or-less direct to the batteries, so the shore power+converter charger needs to work through the battery bank to provide power. How are the batteries "dead" if the rig is on shore power?  If they are so bad the charger cannot get the battery voltage up, that will reduce the power available to the slide motor circuit.

Im not sure how the battery dies or if it did, Im bringing it inj to morrow to check. I hope thats the problem. Or charger isnt working, dont even know where that is. Battery looks clean but that doesnt matter.

Rene T said:
I have a warning posted above my slide out switches that says "Battery must be connected to operate the slides". So if I had a dead battery, they would not operate.
Yea, just saw that, would that be same for leg hydraulics?

albertm1960 said:
Im not sure how the battery dies or if it did, Im bringing it inj to morrow to check. I hope thats the problem. Or charger isnt working, dont even know where that is. Battery looks clean but that doesnt matter.

How old is the battery?

Seeing you have the battery out, it would be a good time to check the output of your convertor. You'll need a Volt meter. While still plugged into shore power, just put the meter on the two battery cables.

When putting the battery back in, make sure you do not put the battery cables on the wrong post.

albertm1960 said:
Thats it, thanks everyone

Glad we could help. Thanks for getting back to us. Many times we think we may have helped someone but they don't get back to us so we never know.

Back
Top Bottom