EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Grand Tetons - Jackson Hole RV Park Recommendation  (Read 1499 times)

Yonder

• ---
  • Northwest Montana (hard to leave in the summer)
Grand Tetons - Jackson Hole RV Park Recommendation
« on: January 20, 2018, 11:19:06 PM »
We've been trying to to get to Jackson Hole - Grand Teton NP for a few years and something seems to always come up or I'm too late making reservations to find a spot to park our 40' MH.  I want to make some early reservations now.  Does anybody have suggestions for a well located (reasonable distance to both), full hook-up park?  If so, what did you like about it?  We tow an enclosed utility trailer with motorcycle and bicycles in it so we prefer a 55' - 60' foot pull through site.
Yonder & BabyCakes + Missy & Shadow - (The Aussies)
2008 Itasca Horizon 40TD
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide (Toad)
'79 Ford F250 4x4 Manual Tranny (DD)

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
Re: Grand Tetons - Jackson Hole RV Park Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 03:37:36 AM »
I would stay at Colter Bay RV Park. Very convenient.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 03:59:15 AM »
In town is the Virginian RV Park, a friend stayed there and said it was nice. Colter Bay more central and in park.  We stay at Gros Ventre but you can't reserve and not full hook up. Beautiful place though.
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Home in Scotland eagerly awaiting next trip!

timjet

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 05:24:46 AM »
Was it difficult to get a site at Gros Ventre? Were there people waiting in line to get a spot?
Tim
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition DP 40', 1.5 bath
'14 Honda CRV

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 05:32:16 AM »
We've been twice and had no problem, although limited electric sites, first-time we got one straight away, next time we had to go on the list and got one the next day.  Both visits were in August 😀 suggest getting there reasonably early, before 11.

timjet

• ---
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 06:47:08 AM »
Thanks Jackie, are sites big enough for a 40 footer?
Tim
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition DP 40', 1.5 bath
'14 Honda CRV

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 06:48:24 AM »
In town is the Virginian RV Park, a friend stayed there and said it was nice.

I spent a night at The Virginian last year. It’s a fairly crowded, suburban park. While they do have pull through sites, I don’t recall any that were 55-60’. At 38’ I just had room to park the toad (at that time a Grand Cherokee) crossways in front of the coach, there was no room to stay connected. Plus, although I was able to drive to the site hooked up and then disconnected the toad, I needed every inch available to make the turns.

X2 re Gros Ventre (“Grow Vont”, not “Gross Ven-tray” like I was pronouncing it like a goofball  ::) ). Went from Virginian to Gros Ventre and spent several nights in a beautiful site overlooking the Gros Ventre river. I had no problem finding a site but this was around June 10th so early in the season. I dry camped but there were also electric spots available. No pull throughs (edit) and no full hookups so not what OP is looking for.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:16:49 PM by Sun2Retire »
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 10:18:22 AM »
I would stay at Colter Bay RV Park. Very convenient.

I will second this sentiment.

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 10:25:53 AM »

X2 re Gros Ventre (“Grow Vont”, not “Gross Ven-tray” like I was pronouncing it like a goofball  ::) ). Went from Virginian to Gros Ventre and spent several nights in a beautiful site overlooking the Gros Ventre river. I had no problem finding a site but this was around June 10th so early in the season. I dry camped but there were also electric spots available. No pull throughs and no full hookups so not what OP is looking for.

Hey Scott - according to their website there are pull throughs.  I did point out no full hookups but OP might be ok with that.  Link below shows all options for camping in park.

45ft max. In Gros Ventre

http://www.gtlc.com/rv

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 11:11:34 AM »
Hey Scott - according to their website there are pull throughs. 
http://www.gtlc.com/rv

Ah, I stand corrected. Although I saw some big rigs I didn't notice the pull-throughs. Thanks for catching that  :))
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

mnppartain

• ---
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 11:20:00 AM »
We stayed in Fireside RV Park in Buffalo Valley in May of 2017. We loved it. The views were wonderful, and it wasn't far to Jackson and Grand Teton.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 11:52:11 AM »
Just a heads up ...  the yuppies/millennials who have moved in and have driven up real estate prices decided they don't want "hole" in the name of their town. As a result, there has been a drive to get it called "Jackson". I smile when I drive out of town and see the end of a building plastered with Jackson Whole Meats. Don't know if that's the proprietors joke or not.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 11:53:30 AM »
I believe Marty was staying at the Virginian when we visited with the Lassens a couple of years ago. Looked like a nice park

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 12:49:13 PM »
Just a heads up ...  the yuppies/millennials who have moved in and have driven up real estate prices decided they don't want "hole" in the name of their town. As a result, there has been a drive to get it called "Jackson". I smile when I drive out of town and see the end of a building plastered with Jackson Whole Meats. Don't know if that's the proprietors joke or not.

Seriously? ::)
Context means nothing? ::)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 12:58:41 PM »
Lighten up, smile, and you'll feel much better.

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 05:42:09 PM »
We've been twice and had no problem, although limited electric sites, first-time we got one straight away, next time we had to go on the list and got one the next day.  Both visits were in August 😀 suggest getting there reasonably early, before 11.

We were there at a busy time (just before the August eclipse), after first trying Coulter Bay (long drive) and managed to get one of the last available sites at Gros Ventre around noon (no reservations), so get there early.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 10:09:55 PM »
Lighten up, smile, and you'll feel much better.

Was referring to the yuppies in case that wasn't clear. ;)

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 03:51:26 AM »
We were there at a busy time (just before the August eclipse), after first trying Coulter Bay (long drive) and managed to get one of the last available sites at Gros Ventre around noon (no reservations), so get there early.
We arrived 13 nights before to make sure we got in. It was busy with queues a few days before. Some folks turned away.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 05:25:19 AM »
We arrived 13 nights before to make sure we got in. It was busy with queues a few days before. Some folks turned away.
But there is always vacancies at the Colter Bay campground. No hookups but plenty of spaces.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 06:32:38 AM »

Kinda like a small town here in Delaware, "Townsend". It was named after Col. Townsend, (I think he was a Col.), but people have been calling it Towns End because it sounds more upscale. A slap in the Col.'s face if you ask me.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Yonder

• ---
  • Northwest Montana (hard to leave in the summer)
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 07:42:11 AM »
All advice much appreciated. I'll do the on-line research from here.  Always good to hear the odds and ends and details from those who have gone before.
Yonder & BabyCakes + Missy & Shadow - (The Aussies)
2008 Itasca Horizon 40TD
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide (Toad)
'79 Ford F250 4x4 Manual Tranny (DD)

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 08:21:30 AM »
The best thing about Grand Tetons (IMHO) is a pull out called Oxbow Bend. Every night at sunset it turns into a zoo without bars. It is one of the best spots for the critters to come down and get a drink of fresh water.
Favorite 2017 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 12:53:36 PM »
Quote from: kdbgoat
Kinda like a small town here in Delaware, "Townsend".

No such issue with towns and villages in the olde country. The place names are descriptive of the area, although some get abbreviated in everyday speech. One small town has the longest (or 2nd longest) name in the world. The sign at the railroad station has a phonetic spelling for tourists who can't get their tongue around some of the words. Locals often revert to the abbreviated version: Llanffair PG.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:56:29 PM by Tom »

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2018, 08:16:31 AM »
But there is always vacancies at the Colter Bay campground. No hookups but plenty of spaces.
That's not quite true, Tom. We arrived at Coulter last summer, but it was late morning and they had just filled the last empty site, so that's why we had to go to Gros Ventre, and we probably didn't have a lot of time margin there, either, before they filled up -- there were only a few sites left. Early morning at either of those campgrounds is much better.

So while that's generally true, there are exceptions.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

Denver Transplant

• ---
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2018, 09:27:06 AM »
You might also consider Flagg Ranch. Its about 2 miles south of the Yellowstone south entrance - about 20 miles to Jackson Lake Dam in Teton. They have full hookups in a forested campground. We were there last summer and there were quite a few 40ft motorhomes and more than few really large 5th wheels. Sites are mostly pull through. You do need to get your reservations in. Its a bit pricey - I think around $75/night but we got in for $50/night with our National Parks Senior Pass. No cell service and only minimal WIFI in the main building.

We've also stayed at Coulter Bay in the regular campground (not the RV Park). They have sites that can accommodate larger motorhomes and one or two loops have power. They go fast. Coulter Bay generally doesn't fill up, but the quality of sites available goes down fast. The general campground doesn't take reservations, so you need to be there early for the best available. I think its a bit of a gamble as I don't think they give out a site until its been cleared by the prior occupant.
Aurora, CO
2017 ACE 30.1
2015 Mini Cooper S 2dr Hardtop
American Car Dolly

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2018, 09:42:00 AM »
I also agree on Colter Bay as it is a very nice CG and centrally located for activities and sightseeing within the park.  We made reservations well in advance and glad we did as when we arrived there were no vacancies.  Having said that, my favorite is Gros Ventre, the only down side is driving to many of the places within the park you will want to visit, though a nice scenic drive.  I recall seeing some pretty large rigs at Gros Ventre.  One of the many nice things about Gros Ventre is the flexibility of finding a spot, so if for example when you check in the staff assign a space for you and you for whatever reason find it unsuitable or to your liking, you can ask for another.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
Gone But not forgotten:
2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS &
2013 Aliner Expedition

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2018, 09:44:54 AM »
That's not quite true, Tom. We arrived at Coulter last summer, but it was late morning and they had just filled the last empty site, so that's why we had to go to Gros Ventre, and we probably didn't have a lot of time margin there, either, before they filled up -- there were only a few sites left. Early morning at either of those campgrounds is much better.

So while that's generally true, there are exceptions.
Nope, there are no exceptions to the rule. If you are there early there are always spaces. Every morning many people leave and empty out spaces. Arriving late morning is never a good idea in any campground. Spaces are reduced.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:46:50 AM by SeilerBird »
Favorite 2017 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2018, 06:11:44 PM »
Nope, there are no exceptions to the rule. If you are there early there are always spaces. Every morning many people leave and empty out spaces. Arriving late morning is never a good idea in any campground. Spaces are reduced.

This is not me experience when we went. Sure there may be times when what you say may be true, but as I mentioned in my earlier post, we luckily made reservations and when we arrived early morning the campground was full.  Yes people were leaving, but it seemed those spots were already reserved.  Better safe than sorry, if it is important to stay there, make reservations for peace of mind,
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
Gone But not forgotten:
2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS &
2013 Aliner Expedition

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2018, 06:28:34 PM »
This is not me experience when we went. Sure there may be times when what you say may be true, but as I mentioned in my earlier post, we luckily made reservations and when we arrived early morning the campground was full.  Yes people were leaving, but it seemed those spots were already reserved.  Better safe than sorry, if it is important to stay there, make reservations for peace of mind,
You must be thinking of a different campground. They do not take reservations at the Colter Bay Campground. It is usually completely empty in the morning.
Favorite 2017 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Mauleman

• ---
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2018, 07:41:48 PM »
while We have stayed at the Virginian before it wasn't in our motor home as we know the owner, who's name , incidentally is Virginia,and is a friend of ours... the park is nice but i don't remember seeing anything as large as yours in the rv area... just sayin....most were trailers and smaller r v's...but I'm sure she has a web site just google it and maybe they do have space for your size rig....
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 07:51:01 PM by Mauleman »

Hosted by Over The Network