1st time purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keyanue

I just finished having  the PPI on my first ever Motorhome required by the lender. It?s a 1999 dolphin national 5350 workhorse with 50,000 miles on it. I?m paying $19,000....I?ve signed nothing yet but am scheduled to pick it up and sign all related documents & contracts next weekend.....I COULD USE ALL THE ADVICE I CAN GET.

Unless it is in pristine condition and well updated that price seems awfully high for that coach, even in good condition I would expect it to sell for more like $14,000.  Being a '99 model on a Workhorse branded chassis this will be on a P series chassis, not sure if it is on a P32, or one of the rare heavier P series with front leaf springs (They only built a few hundred for 2 or 3 years, very rare, some unobtainable front suspension parts).  The simple truth is a 35 ft long motorhome with a slide is too big for the P series chassis, and the reason you see so many negative comments online about P30/P32 chassis having awful handling, this is why Workhorse introduced the W18 and W20 /W22 chassis in about 2002 -2003.

Ask what kind of parking brake it has.  A vehicle that old with AUTOPARK I would stay away from.  They can fail while driving down the road and lock you up.

First, that price is no bargain. $15k would be more reasonable. $19k isn't beyond reason if the condition is really great, but I'm inclined to think the dealer is taking advantage of your inexperience. It's not too late to do some price negotiation.

Next advice is too check tire age and battery condition. The tires can look good and have plenty of tread left, but tires also get old and essentially rotted internally.  10 years is the max useful life of a tire, so anything in the 8-10 range means you will be spending big bucks on tires soon. Depending on the tire size, maybe $2000-$2500.  Tires have a date code on the sidewall - check it.  That coach probably has three batteries too, one for the engine and 2 for the "house". Another $300-$400 if not nearly new.

Tire date codes: http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php/27-maintenance-items/202-tire-manufacturing-date-codes

Also make sure the generator runs for at least 30 minutes under a load, e.g. a electric space heater of an air conditioner.

We have RV buyer checklists in the forum Library - suggest that you get familiar with one of them. Buying an RV is like buying a furnished house - you need to be concerned about leaky roofs, faulty windows, working appliances, state of plumbing and electric, etc.

I don't know what a PPI inspection is (PDI, maybe?), but if the lendor defined it, you can be sure it is intended to protect the lendor's interests, which are somewhat less than yours. It probably covers the major appliances function, but not things that might soon cost you maintenance money.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom