rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Leaking Jack  (Read 493 times)

timjet

• ---
Leaking Jack
« on: January 21, 2018, 05:07:33 AM »
I just noticed fluid puddling below my right rear jack after I extended it. It doesn't seem to be coming from the hydraulic fitting but rather from where the shiny rod goes into the housing assembly. The leak seemed to stop after the jack extended, so I think it's only leaking as it extended. I estimate about a cup of fluid leaked.
Any suggestions on how to fix this are much appreciated.
Tim
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition DP 40', 1.5 bath
'14 Honda CRV

Memtb

• ---
Re: Leaking Jack
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 08:16:40 AM »
   It sounds as though you have a seal leak. However, if it leaks during the ram (shiny thing), then stops once at end of stroke....you may have damage (scratch or wear) on the ram surface  at the location at which it leaks. When fully extended, carefully look at the ram surface for damage or wear. Hopefully....itís only a seal leak.
Todd and Marianne
Home Base: Winchester, Wy.
Miniature Schnauzers - Sundai, Nellie and Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500,  6.7 Ram 6 speed manual, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom
2007 Bigfoot Class C

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 10:14:54 AM »
   It sounds as though you have a seal leak. However, if it leaks during the ram (shiny thing), then stops once at end of stroke....you may have damage (scratch or wear) on the ram surface  at the location at which it leaks. When fully extended, carefully look at the ram surface for damage or wear. Hopefully....itís only a seal leak.

Agree. I doubt it would be a seal though because it only leaks (the way it sounds) during the ram travel.  Like he said, take a close look at the ram the entire length. It may be a long scratch.  If you look at the end of the cylinder and see a piece of rubber, that's not a seal. That would be most likely a wiper. This wipes all the dirt off the piston rod so the dirt doesn't get dragged into the cylinder and thereby damaging the seal.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

cj7365

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 08:53:55 PM »
I just noticed fluid puddling below my right rear jack after I extended it. It doesn't seem to be coming from the hydraulic fitting but rather from where the shiny rod goes into the housing assembly. The leak seemed to stop after the jack extended, so I think it's only leaking as it extended. I estimate about a cup of fluid leaked.
Any suggestions on how to fix this are much appreciated.

It is the seal, as it will only leak when the hydraulic pump is putting pressure through the line.

Is this an HWH jack, if so I had the same problem, call them up to get an RMA #, send the jack to them for repair, cost me $30 to mail it and $100 to get it rebuilt.

I went to the local hydraulic place they did not want to touch it, but I did get a plug for the hose, so I could use the remaining jacks while I waited for the jack to come back from HWH, turn around time was about 10 days.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:56:27 PM by cj7365 »
2005 Allegro Bay 37DB
Workhorse Chassis

seabreeze331

• ---
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 05:49:07 PM »
Ram jacks are known for leaking. If it uses ATF try putting some transmission stop leak in the reservoir.
Durwood  (Dt)
Hail from the North (North Carolina) transplanted to the FL panhandle

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Former Phantom Fixer
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 06:50:44 AM »
I had no problem getting a hydraulic shop to reseal my jacks, even the pair that Power Flow said I couldn't rebuild, but had to replace.  The shop just didn't want to do the R&R from the coach. 
I removed the rams from the coach and took them in. It cost me around $125 each for them to re-seal them.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara