Leaking Jack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

I just noticed fluid puddling below my right rear jack after I extended it. It doesn't seem to be coming from the hydraulic fitting but rather from where the shiny rod goes into the housing assembly. The leak seemed to stop after the jack extended, so I think it's only leaking as it extended. I estimate about a cup of fluid leaked.
Any suggestions on how to fix this are much appreciated.

It sounds as though you have a seal leak. However, if it leaks during the ram (shiny thing), then stops once at end of stroke....you may have damage (scratch or wear) on the ram surface  at the location at which it leaks. When fully extended, carefully look at the ram surface for damage or wear. Hopefully....it?s only a seal leak.

Memtb said:
  It sounds as though you have a seal leak. However, if it leaks during the ram (shiny thing), then stops once at end of stroke....you may have damage (scratch or wear) on the ram surface  at the location at which it leaks. When fully extended, carefully look at the ram surface for damage or wear. Hopefully....it?s only a seal leak.

Agree. I doubt it would be a seal though because it only leaks (the way it sounds) during the ram travel.  Like he said, take a close look at the ram the entire length. It may be a long scratch.  If you look at the end of the cylinder and see a piece of rubber, that's not a seal. That would be most likely a wiper. This wipes all the dirt off the piston rod so the dirt doesn't get dragged into the cylinder and thereby damaging the seal.

timjet said:
I just noticed fluid puddling below my right rear jack after I extended it. It doesn't seem to be coming from the hydraulic fitting but rather from where the shiny rod goes into the housing assembly. The leak seemed to stop after the jack extended, so I think it's only leaking as it extended. I estimate about a cup of fluid leaked.
Any suggestions on how to fix this are much appreciated.

It is the seal, as it will only leak when the hydraulic pump is putting pressure through the line.

Is this an HWH jack, if so I had the same problem, call them up to get an RMA #, send the jack to them for repair, cost me $30 to mail it and $100 to get it rebuilt.

I went to the local hydraulic place they did not want to touch it, but I did get a plug for the hose, so I could use the remaining jacks while I waited for the jack to come back from HWH, turn around time was about 10 days.

I had no problem getting a hydraulic shop to reseal my jacks, even the pair that Power Flow said I couldn't rebuild, but had to replace.  The shop just didn't want to do the R&R from the coach. 
I removed the rams from the coach and took them in. It cost me around $125 each for them to re-seal them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom