Lightbulb for inside Magic Chef Propane Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

I recently bought a 1992 5th wheel that came with a  typical 3 burner Magic Chef stove with oven/broiler plus the manual was included.

Inside the oven was a burned out lightbulb with a regular appliance bulb base (same size as typical  110v lamp socket)
Can't read a thing on the burned out bulb.
Bought a new 2 pack appliance bulb  and neither works.

Is it possible this was/is a 12 volt bulb?

Magic Chef manual included with rig  says nothing at all about the light bulb or even that there is a light in the oven.

Yet there is a light switch on the right side stove front above the oven door, next to the knobs, so it appears to be builtin original equipment.

I have searched all over internet and I can't find a thing about this mysterious Magic Chef oven with light.
Very strange.

Maybe I am overly optimistic, but since the original bulb appears burned out, I was thinking then it must have worked at some point.

I was excited about the possibility of LIGHT in the oven since it's winter and we've had extreme cold weather lately, so it's a good time to think of meals made in an oven, since the extra heat is a welcome bonus.

Normally by the time I open the oven to check for doneness and pull out the shelf, the heat all comes out with it, if it needs more baking, then it has to build up heat. Of course a working  lightbulb would be heaven on earth and speed up the checking.

I flail around with a flashlight now. No worries, but has anyone ever owned one of these?

Did your light work?

Was it 12 volt or 110?

I?m going to guess it?s a 12v bulb. You could test the voltage with a volt meter. (Be careful, if it?s 120v, that?s a hot socket with the switch on.)

I've not seen a light in a RV-type Magic Chef before, but it seems likely any such would be 12v. There is a 12v bulb available that uses a medium screw (Edison) base: Here is one source for a 12v oven light:
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/15W-12V-Oven-Light-Bulb-p/vts-046.htm

Before ordering one, I would try to find the power circuit that goes into the oven and determine if it is 12v or 120v. Or use a meter to check the voltage at the socket, switch or the oven connector.  It may be there is no power there (a blown 12v fuse? or tripped 120v breaker?), or maybe the oven light switch is bad.

Typically when a 120v light bulb is screwed into a 12vdc circuit, the bulb filament burns out immediately, often with a POP! Did that happen? Does the bulb you tried still work when placed in a known good 120v socket? If it does, I suspect the first problem is no power at the oven socket.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Typically when a 120v light bulb is screwed into a 12vdc circuit, the bulb filament burns out immediately, often with a POP! Did that happen?

Gary got that backwards ... a 12 volt bulb screwed into a 120 volt socket gives the flashbulb effect.  Going the other ways does nothing except maybe let the bulb glow very dimly.  :)

I was thinking the same thing, the 12 volt would flash but not the 120 volt.

I will order and try the 12 volt bulb next.

Thank you for your help!

Gary, thanks for the link to the 12 volt oven light.

In view of shipping costs, I bought two and BINGO!

Sure enough  ;D that Magic Chef oven uses a 12 volt light bulb.

Who'd a thunk it?

Works beautifully.

Shame that Magic Chef discontinued putting a light in the oven, I am delighted though to have one of the rare ones that does!

And now Gary, thanks to you, it works!  :))

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom