Towing with Toyota FJ Cruiser ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvman666

My Toyota FJ Cruiser has towing capacity of 4700 lbs.
Thinking about buying a 2018 KZ Escape 231 BH that has unloaded vehicle weight of 3890 pounds.
I will pull round trip to Florida from Virginia once per year, and a few short trips around Virginia during the year...probably to Virginia mountains (2500 ft elevation).

Do you think 3890 lbs is okay? Add in 500 lbs for personal gear or so...

Thanks

(I will have anti sway bars and electric brakes.)

My 2 cents: no.

The GVWR on that TT is 4800lb and its loaded hitch weight is going to be 600lb. And its not a short TT -- too long for that TV.

I personally wouldn't tow anything over 3500lb (GVWR) with that type of vehicle.

To echo Masspike, that unloaded trailer will gain a quick 1000 lbs when you fill Propane tanks add clothing, food, cookware, bedding, toiletries, lawn chairs, grill and other necessities.  You must also deduct the weight of all installed options and passengers and cargo in the FJ from the towing capacity.

Can the FJ pull it down the road?  yes.  Can it safely stop it?  Probably not.  Can it control sway or emergency stops?  NO.

Do not try it!

grashley said:
To echo Masspike, that unloaded trailer will gain a quick 1000 lbs when you fill Propane tanks add clothing, food, cookware, bedding, toiletries, lawn chairs, grill and other necessities.  You must also deduct the weight of all installed options and passengers and cargo in the FJ from the towing capacity.

Can the FJ pull it down the road?  yes.  Can it safely stop it?  Probably not.  Can it control sway or emergency stops?  NO.

Do not try it!
^^^ :)) :)) :))
It is not a question of can it pull it. I just saw an episode of Top Gear where they were pulling a 128,000 pound 727 with pickup trucks. All three pulled it without issue. However the real problem as Grashley states is stopping and controlling sway in high winds or when semi trucks pass you by.

Oldgator73 said:
I would posit if I were pulling a 727 the least of my worries would be an 18 wheeler or high winds creating sway. I would also have a monster brake controller.
Since the only place you can tow an airplane would be on an airport runway there is not much chance of semi traffic. :eek:

Somewhere on your vehicle should be a max cargo limit sticker or at least gross weight information.

Chances are you will exceed the limit.

Our TT gained 1200 lbs over it's dry weight and almost double is dry tongue weight and it is only a 25 ft TT.

If you can, try to rent a similar unit to what you want to buy.  You will learn a lot and you can take it to the CAT scales to see your true camping load.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom