The CRV as a Toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heli_av8tor

Bill N asked for my thoughts on the CRV as a Toad in an unrelated thread. Thought I'd share my thoughts in this area.

We bought the 2014 CRV (latest year that can be towed) purposely to be a toad. It replaced DW's 2006 Camry. Would have bought a new Camry if it had been towable.

The Camry was a nicer car in all respects except it wasn't AWD, but Theresa loves the CRV. I'm used to a Honda Pilot and a lot more room if I want to carry stuff. I wish the rear seats would fold down flat.

As a toad I have nothing to compare it to. We've pulled it about 3500 miles.  It tows well without shimmy or other bad habits. Other than acceleration I can't tell it's still back there without looking at the rear view monitor. I had one "emergency swerve" maneuver at 60 mph and it tracked perfectly.

I like the way the base plate isn't too noticeable with the arms removed. As much as we've gravitated towards boondocking I would like to have a jeep but it has to double as DW's daily driver. She was not having a jeep!

Can't think of anything else. Questions?

Tom

We've towed a 2014 CR-V for >30,000 miles without an issue.  We installed a ToadCharge system to ensure that the battery stayed charged on long driving days but if the audio, heating system and lights are all shut off you shouldn't have any problems anyway.

We have changed the transmission fluid a couple of times (we now have ~60,000 miles on the vehicle).  Honda says to change it at 30,000 miles if you're been towing the vehicle, but no one at Honda USA could tell me if this was 30,000 miles of towing or 30,000 miles of combined towing and driving.  It's not all that expensive so I take the cautious approach.

The key thing is to make sure that you follow the "before towing" instructions carefully.  The key element is making sure that you put the transmission in neutral having come from the Drive direction and not from Reverse.  That's the one thing that I understand can mess you up.

We like our CR-V a lot.  Yes, its front seats could be more comfortable, but that's the only real issue we have with it.  In the 4 years and 60,000+ miles we've had it, the only "repair" was when a rodent chewed through a windshield washer hose!  Literally, nothing else has gone wrong!

Joel (AKA docj)

Thanks guys for the comments.  We looked at several right after we bought the coach 3 years ago but the prices seemed a bit high. At the time were driving a leased Cruze which would not have been 4 down towable.  So when the lease ended, right after we bought the coach, we bought a 2013 Sonic which is a size down from the Cruze.  This is now the DWs wheels and she loves it but I find it a bit small but still very zippy.  You truly don't know it's back there (2700 lbs).  But we are somewhat size limited anyway because our double garage has a storm shelter bolted down to the floor in front of the car and that means our length is limited.  The other half is a Chrysler Town & Country and that would not fit behind the shelter.  In all of my window peeking at the CRV I thought it looked kind of small in the front seat.  Is it supposed to be an SUV?  The ability of the Chrysler van to fold all four seats into the floor enables us to carry 4x8 sheets of material but that car is not towable either.  Anyway, appreciate the views of you CRV owners.

Bill

We had a 2011 CR-V that we liked very well but i thought it was a bit under powered when entering a fast moving freeway. We traded for a 2017 CR-V and like it much more.  It will accelerate much faster with its turbo charged engine, has more safety features and get even better gas mileage.  And it has slightly more room inside too.  I'm getting 30 mpg in city traffic, 34 avg on highway.  I don't tow it.

We have a 2014 CRV which is our fourth that have been towed for a total of about 200K, once while in park. Never have had a problem with any of them and installed a simple fuse bypass switch for towing Fits big guys like me and allows Sue to slip in and out without climbing.

We just had a door repaired and were driving a full-sized Dodge van as a replacement which required a lot more attention to park.

We have had great resale on all our CRV's

Jeff said:
We have a 2014 CRV which is our fourth that have been towed for a total of about 200K, once while in park.

Do you really mean that one time you towed it while leaving it in park?  What were the consequences?

We have a 2006 CRV  that we bought used.  It has been towed for about 6k and we don't even know its back there.  Great TOAD.

docj said:
Do you really mean that one time you towed it while leaving it in park?  What were the consequences?

A lot of embarrasment when I unhooked in front of everyone at Catalina and gently placed it in reverse. I can't describe the relief when discovering it had suffered no apparent ill affects. It was a month later that I realized the parking snubs which I believe are rubber could not hold the car in park alone when parked on much more than a 3% grade. Never did get them changed.

We have the 2014 CRV which is my wife's daily driver, she loves it and as a toad it does well but I find it a little more difficult to hook up than my Jeep Grand Cherokee. If I was younger and lost 40 pounds, the CRV would be equal to my Jeep. I do see a little better fuel economy towing the CRV and we do have the AWD model. Comparison wise the Jeep is much more comfortable for me to drive so it is towed more frequently. As mentioned, the CRV seats are not comfortable for a large individual.

Right now, my wife is having to drive me everyday to doctor appointments so she is having to drive my Jeep and she is beginning to like it. My 240 pounds just don't feel comfortable in the CRV.

Back
Top Bottom