Traveling from Reno, NV to Lassen Volcanic National Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fhoghvn

In mid May, we will be traveling from Reno, NV to Lassen Volcanic National Park.  We would like to know the best route to travel.  I have a 44 foot fifth wheel toy hauler. Also any RV campgrounds recommendations that have large pull through sites with full hookups.

Looking at the map, it seems to me that the best route would be up I395 then to 36 to Mills Creek, CA.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred

No one can predict the weather and snow is a very real possibility on that route so it is best to wait till you are ready to leave to make the final decision. Personally I usually take 395.

We were in Lassen early June last year and  could only go as far as the Devastated Rocks area due to the snow. Just letting you know so you can check weather up there. Of course you may want there to be snow ? it's a beautiful place.

There have been years when we lived in Redding, CA that the road through the park didn't open until July.  Definitely check the weather before you leave.

Glad I didn't attempt to respond to this question. We've only been to LNP once, and it must have been mid summer. Couldn't recall the route we took to get there  :-[

I'm not familiar with Mills Creek, CA.  I should clarify that Highway 44 through Old Station will be kept open as soon as possible after any snowfall.  It's only the road that goes directly through Lassen Volcanic National Park which will be closed until much later in some years.

Yes, 395 to 36 to Lassen is the best route. 

As others said be sure you keep an eye on the weather and check to be sure the park is open.

As to places to stay, other than to suggest you use RV Park Reviews I have nothing for a rig your size.

The hike to the top of Lassen is one of the most fantastic hikes you can go on. A stunning view of Mount Lassen from the top.

Attachments

• Lassen Volcanic 2.jpg
    Lassen Volcanic 2.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 21
Thanks, everyone for the replies.  I will definitely keep an eye out on the projected weather.

Fred

We went the opposite direction 3 years ago. Left the NPS Campground in Lassen NP and took 89 to 36 driving a 28-foot Class A towing a VW. I wouldn?t recommend 89 thru the park in anything bigger. Then 36 to Susanville and 395 to Reno. That section would be fine for a bigger rig. And as others have said, watch the weather and have alternate routes planned.

Back
Top Bottom