Earliest Class C diesel with good MPG?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wilbus

Hi forum,

I have a Toyota Dolphin and love it. I'm planning to go cross country more often and want something that can go 75MPH without freaking out. Dolphin likes to go 50MPH and doesn't love passes.

I'd like to get a powerful replacement for under $20,000 that still gets good gas mileage. I assume I have to get a diesel but don't know for sure. Any recommendations on powerful, economical RVs to replace not so powerful, cheap Dolphin?

Always in gratitude for my elders. Will (age 34)

Wilbus said:
I'd like to get a powerful replacement for under $20,000 that still gets good gas mileage.
ROTFLMAO - so does every other newby that comes in here. First off driving 75 in an RV is very dangerous in my book. But a powerful RV will not get good gas mileage, in fact no RV gets good gas mileage.

Agree with Tom, slow down and enjoy the scenery. Unless there's an emergency at home, there's no need to go 75 mph. It seems to me that getting about 8 mpg is about average for most motorhomes.

If you can find a Class C diesel in that price range (not likely), you can probably get 12-16 mpg at 65 mph. Less, perhaps much less, at 75.

The Class C's based on the Mercedes Sprinter diesel chassis can get 16 mpg in ideal conditions, but 75 mph is well away from ideal. Some examples of a Sprinter based Class C are the Winnebago View, Four winds Sprinter, and Forest River Prism.

You may find a few older Class C diesels in your price range but they will be based on a Ford van chassis (usually the E350) with the big Ford 7.3L Powerstroke diesel. I would guess around 12-13 mpg for those. Something like this one:
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1995-Born-Free-PRESIDENT-26--5000470058

Keep in mind the improved fuel economy for diesels is often offset by the higher costs, both to purchase as well as to maintain.  Is it really a bargain to get 1/3 better fuel economy if you pay 3 times as much for oil changes, and other general maintenance as well as thousands of dollars more upfront for the coach.

Actually I own a Ford Diesel F250 and close to a dozen pieces of equipment with diesel engines (generators, water pump, air compressor, etc.), though my motorhome does have a gas engine (8.1L Vortec)

Wilbus said:
I have a Toyota Dolphin and love it. I'm planning to go cross country more often and want something that can go 75MPH without freaking out. Dolphin likes to go 50MPH and doesn't love passes.

I'd like to get a powerful replacement for under $20,000 that still gets good gas mileage. I assume I have to get a diesel but don't know for sure. Any recommendations on powerful, economical RVs to replace not so powerful, cheap Dolphin?

Always in gratitude for my elders. Will (age 34)

Well I guess he doesn't love it so  much if  he's wanting another.

I'm thinking he didn't like the answers give so he won't be back.

And I agree with SeilerBird that no RV should be going 75 especially a class C
but is seems there are people that don't agree with that as I see some fly by me.
But I KNOW they are not getting good mileage.

Hello,

Sometimes hard to get into the proper frame of mind, when going from one type of travel to another. While I understand when you are young you usually have less time for travel, going fast in an RV isn't a very good idea at all, as others have stated. It is a good way to see the view going in circles, and the under sides of trucks and cars as you roll your RV from a tire blow out. Also more stress when driving an RV compared to cars, vans and trucks.

Slow down, enjoy the view, ride and experience of traveling, plus live a lot longer. They tried to tell that to James Dean but he did listen and died.

Doubt our poster will be back as he has not been on since he first posted here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom