Heavier toads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I currently have a 2016 Alegro Red with the bigger diesel. I tow a 2016 Jeep Wrangler. Harley even feel any difference when in tow and not.  I am thinking of changing my toad to a Lincoln Continental or a Cadillac Escalade. Can someone tell me if these toads will make a big difference in the towing performance I am currently getting from my Alegro Red?  Will I feel a big difference?

Thanks-Rick

I don't know how big your "bigger diesel" is, but when I switched toads from a Grand Cherokee (which I could barely tell was back there) to a full-sized pickup, it was quite noticeable. Makes sense, the pickup weighs a full ton more. Knocked about 1/2 MPG off as far as I can tell (which is about 7%), and hill climbs are even more leisurely.

More weight in a toad has only modest effect except while hill climbing, where you have to actually drag that extra weight up the grade. Otherwise it is mostly just rolling resistance of the tires. Acceleration from a standing stop may be a bit less too, but since motorhomes don't accelerate well anyway, I'm not sure you would notice. As already stated, you may see some mpg loss as well, due to the larger tire footprint & resistance, and maybe some greater air resistance too.  A change is air resistance can have a significant effect, but it's impossible to predict if the new toad will experience a different air flow around and behind the coach.

Back
Top Bottom