rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Reconditioning batteries  (Read 462 times)

steveblonde

• ---
Reconditioning batteries
« on: January 22, 2018, 11:18:37 AM »
 i just bought a new charger that has a reconditioning feature for 12 volt batteries, one of my 6 volts isnt really holding a charge well if i hook the 2 6volts together as if they were in the trailer to make a 12v circuit - can set my charger on the 12v recon setting? Charger is a NOCO G3500 Genius
Thanks in advance steve
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:47:50 AM by steveblonde »
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2017 Ford Escape my Daily driver - first Ford in 25 yrs
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded (First Ford Truck after 17 GMs) 5167lbs cargo/weight capacity -DRKHORZ

" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: Reconditioning batteries
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 12:11:43 PM »
Yes you can connect two 6 volt batteries in series.  Whether the treatment is successful depends on why the battery isn't holding a charge.  If it's due to plate sulfation, the charger may be able to reform it back into active plate material.

If you have a shorted cell, it won't.

If you have a hydrometer, before you charge the battery see if you get equal specific gravity readings on each cell.  If two cells test good while the third is near zero, you have a shorted cell.

Another way to find a shorted cell is with a voltmeter.  Put one voltmeter probe on the (-) battery terminal, then dip the other into the electrolyte of each cell.  Don't touch the plates, just the liquid electrolyte.

Good cells will increase the voltage by about 2 volts each.  i.e. the first cell will read 2 volts, the second 4 volts, the third 6 volts.

If you have a cell that doesn't contribute an increase in voltage, you have a shorted cell - probably due to plate structure flaking off and accumulating in the bottom until it shorts out the cell.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:19:28 PM by Lou Schneider »

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 05:33:24 PM »
thanks Lou sorry i dont have a hyrometer but i will try to refurbish them i have nothing to loose if it doesnt work i will buy new batteries
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2017 Ford Escape my Daily driver - first Ford in 25 yrs
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded (First Ford Truck after 17 GMs) 5167lbs cargo/weight capacity -DRKHORZ

" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 10:10:02 AM »
I sometimes get flamed for saying "There are no six volt batteries in RV's.
"

But here is my Logic.  When you hook two six volt GC-2 Batteries in series. YOU GET, one 12 volt battery, basically a 4D or 8D.

You treat the pair, EXACTLY as you would a 12 volt battery. this includes your recondition (Desulphate I suspect) feature.

Will it work.. I'd give it about a 30% chance, but. That's 30% more than zero so by all means try it. Just do not be upset if it fails.

And check fluid level (hint it's not water but a dilute acid) before and after. add DISTILLED WATER to about 1/2 inch below the fillter tube BEFORE and 1/4the after.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.