Reconditioning batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steveblonde

i just bought a new charger that has a reconditioning feature for 12 volt batteries, one of my 6 volts isnt really holding a charge well if i hook the 2 6volts together as if they were in the trailer to make a 12v circuit - can set my charger on the 12v recon setting? Charger is a NOCO G3500 Genius
Thanks in advance steve

Yes you can connect two 6 volt batteries in series.  Whether the treatment is successful depends on why the battery isn't holding a charge.  If it's due to plate sulfation, the charger may be able to reform it back into active plate material.

If you have a shorted cell, it won't.

If you have a hydrometer, before you charge the battery see if you get equal specific gravity readings on each cell.  If two cells test good while the third is near zero, you have a shorted cell.

Another way to find a shorted cell is with a voltmeter.  Put one voltmeter probe on the (-) battery terminal, then dip the other into the electrolyte of each cell.  Don't touch the plates, just the liquid electrolyte.

Good cells will increase the voltage by about 2 volts each.  i.e. the first cell will read 2 volts, the second 4 volts, the third 6 volts.

If you have a cell that doesn't contribute an increase in voltage, you have a shorted cell - probably due to plate structure flaking off and accumulating in the bottom until it shorts out the cell.

thanks Lou sorry i dont have a hyrometer but i will try to refurbish them i have nothing to loose if it doesnt work i will buy new batteries

I sometimes get flamed for saying "There are no six volt batteries in RV's.
"

But here is my Logic.  When you hook two six volt GC-2 Batteries in series. YOU GET, one 12 volt battery, basically a 4D or 8D.

You treat the pair, EXACTLY as you would a 12 volt battery. this includes your recondition (Desulphate I suspect) feature.

Will it work.. I'd give it about a 30% chance, but. That's 30% more than zero so by all means try it. Just do not be upset if it fails.

And check fluid level (hint it's not water but a dilute acid) before and after. add DISTILLED WATER to about 1/2 inch below the fillter tube BEFORE and 1/4the after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom