EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Awning drop, awning shade, awning extension?  (Read 378 times)

Frank B

• ---
Awning drop, awning shade, awning extension?
« on: January 22, 2018, 04:56:52 PM »
We have a rather tall arctic fox 30U travel trailer that has a Carefree of Colorado powered 17 foot awning. This awning does have the adjustable arms, so it drops somewhat. However, in the winter months when the sun is low in the sky, all of the shade it produces goes on the trailer, and none of it on the ground where we sit.

I'm looking for a product referred to as an awning drop, an Awning shade, or awning extension. It appears that Carefree of Colorado makes a screen type shade particularly for their awnings. This has a one foot or two foot insert in the awning tube, and then a piece of screen fabric that zips on to that that drops down lower still.

Anyone have any experience with this product, or could suggest another solution? I only need about a two foot extension on the end of the awning to get what I want. I don't need something that goes right to the ground.

Thanks

Frank.

Linux:  Free, open, elegant.
06 GMC 3500 Duramax crew/long pulling 2010 Arctic Fox 30U with 1700 lb Reese Titan Class 5.
1.2 kw solar

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
Re: Awning drop, awning shade, awning extension?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 05:52:12 PM »
I  purchased a shade from Vista Shade.  I wanted a 7' shade so the main part is 6' and the part which is in the roller tube is 1'. If you wanted a 10' shade, again 6' would be the main body and you'd have a 4' piece in the roller tube. No matter how long a shade you'd want, the main body would always be 6'.
The piece in the roller tube can stay there when rolling up the awning. Just unzip the 6' body piece and pack it.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=vista+shade&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=229027354546&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9744825957455835624&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012160&hvtargid=kwd-508652350752&ref=pd_sl_8vn0roifh9_e_p38
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Frank B

• ---
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 02:03:49 PM »
Thanks.  However, my needs are more modest than a $100+ awning extension, so my wife resolved it.  I just needed a bit more drop to keep the low sun out of my eyes.

The attached pic is only a 'proof of concept', as the towel is on the thick side, but the idea works just fine.  I just held it in place while my wife ran the awning in a bit, pinching the towel in place.  I'll look into something thinner, perhaps the same sort of awning extension material that the professional ones are made of.  It is just polyester mesh, and a small piece could be manually rolled into the awning with no problem.

Frank.
06 GMC 3500 Duramax crew/long pulling 2010 Arctic Fox 30U with 1700 lb Reese Titan Class 5.
1.2 kw solar

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Former USAF F-4 crew chief
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 06:30:53 AM »
You could buy a set of those plastic clips that slide into the awning channel and then a set of shower curtain hooks(the "S" style).  Put grommets in your chosen piece of material and Bob's your uncle.

Yeah, maybe more complicated than rolling the stuff up in the awing, but when I saw your photo that just popped into my mind.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Frank B

• ---
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 09:40:17 AM »
Yeah, when my wife first suggested the idea I was thinking like you, and the complication involved. After she explained, I saw the beauty in her more simplified solution.

I saw yet another advantage yesterday when it got windy. As we all know, wind and awnings don't mix, and especially the flimsy scissor type powered awnings. I had to pull it in quickly, and the lack of clips, zipper, or other hardware was wonderful. I ran it out a couple of inches, the towel fell out in it's own, then I ran the awning in. Done.

1.2 kw solar

Hosted by Over The Network