rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: New to & Looking to Buy a Used Tow Dolly Could use Some Help on Price and Model  (Read 600 times)

Gizmo

• ---
Looking to buy used as this may not be a long term need.  I just saw an ad for a Stehl with surge brakes that is 3 years old w less than 5000 miles on it, they are asking $1,200.00.  I looked at a local dealer selling new and new they have them priced at $1,700 or 1,800 with surge brakes, so $1,200 for a 3 year old unit seemed high to me, but again I am new to tow dolly's and I have no idea of how much they depreciate.  Also, any thoughts on Stehl as a brand would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
Gone But not forgotten:
2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS &
2013 Aliner Expedition

RVRAC

• ---
I think itís a lot of money for a used one.  If you are looking for one with surge brakes, you can get a new one for that price new from a different brand.
2017 Leprechaun 311 FS
Toad: 2016 Jeep Patriot
American Dolly
Home: WI
Snowbird 6 months/yr.

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
Call them and offer what you think is a good price. There's not too much demand for used tow dolly's, they might accept it.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 90,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
There's not too much demand for used tow dolly's, they might accept it.

Not sure that is the case in some regions, but definitely make an offer. I see a lot of them for sale here in Florida, but they also seem to sell regularly.  Agree that $1200 is a bit steep, but nice clean ones with brakes, reliable wheel tie-downs & a spare tire go for around $950-$1000 here. If one comes up for sale at $800-$900, it gets snapped up quickly.

Stehl is one of the good brands; others include Master Tow, Demco (Kar Kaddy), and Roadmaster.  American Tow Dolly's EZE Tow is the low price leader.  I'm not impressed with EZE Tow myself, but the price is attractive.

Surge brake units are somewhat hard to find for some reason; most dollies with brakes are electric. Probably better overall, but requires a brake controller on the tow vehicle. When I needed a dolly for just one season use, I hunted for a surge brake unit and couldn't find a used one in any reasonable condition. Ended up buying a Master Tow with electric brakes.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:05:00 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Gizmo

• ---
Thank you for the replies & Gary for your detailed and helpful reply.  We have until the end of March before we need to get one, so I may make an offer, with the idea we have a bit of time.
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
Gone But not forgotten:
2013 Aliner Expedition

Gizmo

• ---
Re: New to & Looking to Buy a Used Tow Dolly Could use Some Help: Follow-Up
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 08:26:17 AM »
To follow up on this, since we have plenty of time before needing a tow dolly I took a wait and see position on the Craigslist ad for the Stehl tow dolly.  Interesting they lowered the price to $1,100 from $1,200, then pulled the ad and re-listed at $1,200.  I contacted the owner and offered $900.00 which he accepted and we made the purchase.  Thanks again for the helpful replies.
Gone But not forgotten:
2013 Aliner Expedition

RVRAC

• ---
Great!  Enjoy it.  We like our very much. NP
2017 Leprechaun 311 FS
Toad: 2016 Jeep Patriot
American Dolly
Home: WI
Snowbird 6 months/yr.