rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Looking for recommendations for a qualityTT  (Read 2663 times)

gravesdiesel

• ---
Re: Looking for recommendations for a qualityTT
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2018, 11:57:48 AM »
Reckon that is true with any brand though.  As has been stated, people love to post negative things much more often than positive things.
2016 KZ Spree 262 RKS
2003 Dodge 3500 4 door flatbed 4x4 diesel, 6 speed
1996 Dodge 3500 extra cab flatbed 4x4 diesel 5 speed
2006 Arctic Cat TRV diesel 4x4 ATV
(2) 1981 Yamaha G1 2 cycle golf carts
Many other diesels on the farm!

Phrogman

• ---
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2018, 12:03:12 PM »
Just a follow up to my earlier post.  Got back from Vegas last night.  No issues with the trailer.  Everything worked as advertised.  We are very happy with our decision to buy a Coachmen.  Of course we found some very minor issues and learned some things like needing a shower mat as the shower floor was slippery but overall we could not be happier with our purchase.   Guess we made one rookie mistake.  My wife was reheating some food in the oven as I was taking out the garbage.  I was returning to the trailer I heard a smoke alarm as was thinking "Wow, someone's smoke alarm is going off."  As I got closer to the trailer, I realized it was our trailer.  I opened the door and could see smoke and my wife had a confused look on her face as she was not burning anything.  As the trailer is brand new, I guess the stove needed a "break in burn".  Anyway, no harm - no foul and happy to know that the smoke alarm works.       

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2018, 12:06:32 PM »
Just a follow up to my earlier post.  Got back from Vegas last night.  No issues with the trailer.  Everything worked as advertised.  We are very happy with our decision to buy a Coachmen.  Of course we found some very minor issues and learned some things like needing a shower mat as the shower floor was slippery but overall we could not be happier with our purchase.   Guess we made one rookie mistake.  My wife was reheating some food in the oven as I was taking out the garbage.  I was returning to the trailer I heard a smoke alarm as was thinking "Wow, someone's smoke alarm is going off."  As I got closer to the trailer, I realized it was our trailer.  I opened the door and could see smoke and my wife had a confused look on her face as she was not burning anything.  As the trailer is brand new, I guess the stove needed a "break in burn".  Anyway, no harm - no foul and happy to know that the smoke alarm works.       
Fantastic, glad you are happy with it.  You will be looking forward to more adventures in it now!
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Back home in Scotland awaiting May 2019

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2018, 12:21:47 PM »

Unfortunately, RV's are small, and the smoke detector is mounted too close to the cooking area in many RV's. It may end up an ongoing issue.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Phrogman

• ---
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2018, 09:35:55 PM »
Unfortunately, RV's are small, and the smoke detector is mounted too close to the cooking area in many RV's. It may end up an ongoing issue.

Certainly hope not as that is a big design flaw.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2018, 06:05:51 AM »
I've had three different RV's, and if DW fries up some scrapple or something else good for breakfast, it has set the detector off in all three, and yes she uses the vent over the stove. Turning on other exhaust fans help, but when it's 35 degrees out, one will lose a lot of heat doing that. Of course if it's nice out, she fixes breakfast (and all other meals outside).For the most part, it's not even smoke a person can see.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

mskeyspirate

• ---
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2018, 05:40:28 PM »
Well I have to disagree with the folks that claim that people only post negative reviews, complaints with no positive report. I have a Passport, purchased it brand new in 15. It has brought us a lot of joy. We have fun, and generally enjoy the experiences that we have. But....campers, travel trailers if you will. Are, what they are, a cheap, quickly built box to appeal to the masses. I believe that besides Airstream there are only about 4 companies that build all brands and models. They are all very much the same. As long as your expectations are not too high, you will enjoy your time in one. But as I said...they are, what they are. Your not buying a quality home, it's a weekend retreat that needs quite a bit of upkeep and most of all....a good dealer service dept behind you. Oh..and a good extended warranty.

sanjosedale

• ---
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2018, 11:17:04 AM »
Hi all, we are brand new to RV-ing, recently retired, we purchased a Grand Design Reflection TT. I was looking here to see if there are ANY high quality brands. We have had a host of issues with this trailer, at least GD has good customer service, but I really question the quality and design. Iím coming to the conclusion if we want a lot better quality, we need to move up to a 5 th wheel. Seems there is just no demand in the market for a high quality (regardless of price) trailer? We didnít go this route because of price, we really needed to keep the utility of the truck and camper shall, not dedicate it to the 5the wheel.

Madcow

• ---
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2018, 09:27:27 PM »
Well, one needs to keep in mind that RV/TT manufacturing is not the same as automotive assembly lines.  Compared to automotive factories, the RV stuff is like someone building a TT in their pole barn.  In automotive, one person has one job they do on a well laid out assembly line and they get pretty efficient at it and quality control is better.  That is not the case with RV/TT production.  So one is not likely to get the fit and finish and reliability of an auto.  Therefore, quality out the door is all over the map.

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2018, 08:07:05 AM »
Hi all, we are brand new to RV-ing, recently retired, we purchased a Grand Design Reflection TT. I was looking here to see if there are ANY high quality brands. We have had a host of issues with this trailer, at least GD has good customer service, but I really question the quality and design. Iím coming to the conclusion if we want a lot better quality, we need to move up to a 5 th wheel. Seems there is just no demand in the market for a high quality (regardless of price) trailer? We didnít go this route because of price, we really needed to keep the utility of the truck and camper shall, not dedicate it to the 5the wheel.
Hi and welcome. The TT we have also has a 5th wheel version and I would say the quality was much the same.  I guess it depends on what you are looking for and willing to spend and even that doesn't give you much of a guarantee.  I thought Grand Design had a pretty good reputation.  Once your issues are ironed out, you will probably feel much better and be happy (hopefully).
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Back home in Scotland awaiting May 2019

sanjosedale

• ---
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2018, 09:54:50 AM »
I choose GD because of their reputation and specifically their great customer service, as I was anticipating issues. I am working through the problems. GD has produced mainly 5 th wheels and only started these TT in recent years. The fit and finish is really good, itís when I pull back the sheets, that I really question the quality and design, mechanical, plumbing and electrical systems. Iím not going to go into all the issues Iíve had, that isnít the point of my post, just wishing to understand if other offerings could be better. I have their top of the line TT, but their top of the line 5th wheel sells for 4x the price.