front engine diesels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jay55

Is there an advantage to a "fred" MH? If so what? Which would you recommend? We are thinking about a used MH in the 60k-75k range. It would be just my wife and I and since we have never RVed before we think we would probably travel 2-3 months a year. We had a hard time choosing between a MH and a 5er but we think we would enjoy a MH more because we probably would spend less than a week in any one place. Any opinions would be helpful.

The only used front engine diesel motorhomes you're likely to find are the older Forward Control Bluebirds.  The Freightliner FRED chassis is new and I believe 2007 is the first model year that anyone used it.

For just 2-3 months a year use, you're probably better off with a used gas powered motorhome.  You'll have a much better choice in your price range with gas.

I am not sure there are any real advantages but a possible big disadvantage would be the potential noise when in the drivers or passenger seats as compared to a rear engine rig.

I agree with Ron re the noise.  Our front engine Class Cs were much noiser than our diesel pusher Class As.  That was one of the first differences we noted when test driving the As.  You actually can carry on a normal-voice level conversation with the engine in the rear.

ArdraF

The "advantage" of a Fred chassis motorhome is basically price - the front engine models can share floor plans and other design components with gas chassis models and thus produces an entry level diesel motorhome for a price that is not too much greater than a similarly equipped gas model. What you end up with is essentially an identical motorhome with high torque diesel power and diesel fuel economy & longevity and the price difference is basically the price difference between the two engines. The gas and Fred chassis use similar (though not identical) Allison transmissions, leaf spring suspensions, and hydraulic disk brakes. 

Here is what Freightliner claims:

What does all this mean to the RV owner?

* A diesel engine that gives you power and torque for even the steepest grades and under the most extreme conditions
    * A chassis that allows for up to 2,000 pounds of additional payload
    * An improved wheel cut for exceptional maneuverability in the tightest situations
    * The ride and handling that have become synonymous with the Freightliner name
    * A noise level equal to or less than that of traditional gas chassis
    * Improved fuel economy over today's gas engines
    * The longer engine life of a diesel
    * More miles between service intervals
    * Better resale value

There is no advantage of a Fred chassis over a traditional diesel pusher chassis such as the Freightliner XC except price.

Are there any on the used market in the 60 - 70K price range.  I wouldn't think so unless a Class C.  They are a little re new for that aren't they?  Some of the older ones from the 70's and 80's  would go for far less than that.

Shayne said:
Are there any on the used market in the 60 - 70K price range.  I wouldn't think so unless a Class C.  They are a little re new for that aren't they?  Some of the older ones from the 70's and 80's  would go for far less than that.

Check out www.birdconnection.com and www.vintagebirds.com for Forward Control Blue Bird Wanderlodges. I saw 7 listed on birdconnection.

Regards,
Liz

Freightliner still supports the old Oshkosh/John Deere Chassis that was a front-engined diesel chassis under a few coaches back in the early (?) 90's. Pace Arrow for one used the chassis for a couple of years.

However I probably agree with the comments above about buying gas unless you foresee a lot of use, then perhaps an early Bounder Diesel pusher would fall in that price range. At that price you would end up with 1 or 2 slides with gas but probably none with a diesel.

You will have no problem getting a two-slide high end gas rig for that budget. I would have happily sold the double slide 2002 Dolphin LX we traded last fall for less than that. Should be able to get an 03 or even an 04 multi-slide gas chassis for under $70k.

In the diesel pusher category, you should be able to get an 01 Bounder,  Discovery, Journey, Ambassador, Knight, Kountry Star, Sportscoach, etc. for $70k or maybe less. They will have one or two slides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom